Prev: Re: [GZG] rocket power - or not Next: Re: [GZG] Still "colinies" :)

Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

From: Ken Hall <khall39@y...>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 07:35:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

se are fair points, and I forgot completely about Charles XII.

  Best,
  Ken

Robert N Bryett <rbryett@gmail.com> wrote:
  Considering Marlborough did not achieve high command until 1702, won
his last major engagement in 1710 and had been dismissed, disgraced
and driven into exile by a grateful monarch by in January 1711, the
apple-cart was upset very *early* in the 18th century.

Charles XII of Sweden spilt a lot of apples in his turbulent career,
and the cart was kept upset by Prince Eugene at Peterwardein and
Belgrade in 1716 and 1717, before passing the baton to de Saxe,
Ferdinand Of Brunswick, and of course Frederick through the 1740-50s.
Other notable apple-cart upsetters would include Clive and Wolfe in
India and Canada in 1759, not to mention Howe, Burgoyne and a chap
named George Washington from 1777 to 1781.

In fact the apple-cart spent so much time upside-down, that one
begins to wonder if there ever was one. One even begins to suspect
that the idea of 18th century warfare as sterile manoeuvring and the
avoidance of battle is just a construct of 19th century historians
and theorists who suffered from a bad case of Napoleon-worship.

Best regards, Robert Bryett