Prev: Re: [GZG] How fast is FTL in GZGverse? Next: Re: [GZG] How fast is FTL in GZGverse?

Re: [GZG] How fast is FTL in GZGverse?

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 00:50:18 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] How fast is FTL in GZGverse?

At 9:05 PM -0400 5/13/08, Robert Mayberry wrote:
>I'm a big fan of the FTL system in Mote. I also like that for the most
>part you had to be motionless (with respect to a complex set of axes)
>to use the drive (though the Moties did admittedly figure out a way to
>come out of FTL with huge initial velocities).
>
>You still get choke points at habitats, planets and other objectives
>in the GZG system, but it also opens the door to fly-throughs at
>relativistic velocities, which I think would strategically make things
like planetary bombardment almost impossible to defend against.

Well there's the barrage balloon concept. Sand
casters that spray a large cluster of "barrage
balloon stuff" in front of a slashing attack
could be hard to avoid and hard on your fleet if
you figure on an easy and un-scouted slash
through a given system area. Especially if your
guided weapons ranges are limited. Salvo Missiles
and MT missiles being table top range so you have
to get close. System defense ships and mine
fields being pretty easy to set out.

Thus, you blitz through at your peril.
Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)

Prev: Re: [GZG] How fast is FTL in GZGverse? Next: Re: [GZG] How fast is FTL in GZGverse?