Prev: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies Next: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies and FTL communications

Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 16:54:38 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 1:35 PM, K.H.Ranitzsch
<kh.ranitzsch@t-online.de> wrote:
> John Atkinson schrieb:

>  > Haiti does seem to qualify, however.  There are a series of reasons
>  > WHY the Hatians beat their former masters solidly but foreign
support
>  > is, unusually, not on the list.
>
>  Guess it depends on what you mean by "outside help". The Haitian
slaves
>  themselves did win against the French local forces, but in 1791 (2
years
>  after the French revolution) France was not in a position to send in
>  significant reinforcements. It is not clear the Haitians would have
>  prevailed against France (either Royal or Napoleonic) at full
capability.

Well, it did help France was at war with practically the entire world
(except the United States) at the time.  But as for direct aid or
intervention, the Haitians got nothing I can find.

>  By the way, wouldn't the French revolution qualify as a succesful
>  insurgency without outside help ?

Wasn't much of an insurgency.  It was simply a series of coups and
instances of civil unrest.  Formed Army units operated on all sides.

>  As to Eritrea, I am not really sure it qualifies as 'without outside
>  help' if you define this strictly. There was a substantial Eritrean
>  diaspora in Europe that supported the rebels politically, with money,
>  etc. Plus, Ethiopia was "Marxist" at the time, with support from the
>  Soviets, and I vaguely remember that Western clandestine help may
have
>  reached them through friendly (Arab?) countries.

If so, not much of it.

John
and again. We're looking for thousands of Persians."
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies Next: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies and FTL communications