Prev: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies Next: Re: [GZG] Mine resistant vehicles

Re: [GZG] How fast is FTL in GZGverse?

From: "Robert Mayberry" <robert.mayberry@g...>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 15:10:56 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] How fast is FTL in GZGverse?

I don't have my books with me... didn't it also say that most ships
make several mini-jumps at the beginning and end of a journey to enter
and leave the stellar gravity well?

Basically jumps outside the gravity well are still pretty inaccurate
if they're still too close, but short jumps are safer and more
accurate. So your first Jump is to get fully clear of the star, then
you make your long jumps. Then when you get where you're going, you
make a few small jumps at the end to shave it as close as you dare.
Military ships make even more jumps at the end to get into formation.

So even a one-jump flight (say to Alpha Centauri) would take more than
one day due to in-system transit and those minijumps.

Or to rephrase Niven, you could go anywhere in eight weeks, but
nowhere in less than one week. If a campaign system came up, you could
start to see a turn-based rhythm emerge.

--
Robert Mayberry

Prev: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies Next: Re: [GZG] Mine resistant vehicles