Prev: Re: [GZG] Mine resistant vehicles Next: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

Re: [GZG] How fast is FTL in GZGverse?

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 13:29:28 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] How fast is FTL in GZGverse?

I surrender the no-prize, though I think you may be a bit generous with
the
totals. Fastest single cycle between jumps and a record jump in a
purpose-built craft doesn't necessarily equate to four such jumps per
day.
And even less so for several days in a row, not even trying to decide
operational capability at the end.

Still, sounds like a jump of at least two to  three times the travel
estimate from FTII to FB.

Thanks, Phil!

The_Beast

Phil on 05/13/2008 12:01:21 PM:

***snippage***

> I refer you to p44 of FB1, which contains the following two statements
which
> set a current upper limit for human ships in the GZGverse:
>
> "The fastest cycle possible is around one jump per six hours [...] On
average,
> naval vessels on most missions will make no more than one jump per
day."

> "The longest verified controlled jump to date was [...] a realspace
> displacement of 7.328 light-years"
>
> So the upper limit, requiring a superb ship and crew, anti-Jump-shock
drugs,
> and a lot of luck, is about 29 ly/day. More usual would be about 6
ly/day
(1