Prev: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies Next: Re: [GZG] How fast is FTL in GZGverse?

Re: [GZG] How fast is FTL in GZGverse?

From: "Tom B" <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 13:27:12 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] How fast is FTL in GZGverse?

A wee Beastie wrote:
---------------
Fuzzy max 1 yr round trip to Barnard's Star, just under six light years,
from FTII.

'2063 The first trans-solar probe is launched to (and returns from)
Barnard's Star.'

The Lafayette campaign rules from the same book have six light years of
FTL
movement per week.

Did I win?
------------------

I think the probe time must be assumed to be including a lot of
scanning, data processing, etc. and the probe may not have had the
engines we have in-game in the current period - in terms of speed or
technology.

The second bit of information is a bit more  useful. 6 light
years/week might well fit with my 1 ly/day (pretty close). I thought I
had picked this figure out of canonical sources, or at least
notionally, but didn't know where. FTII seems to be the answer.

So getting out to the limits of human space should take about
six-seven weeks (if I recall the 3D map Nyratth helped us put
together). So if something happens on a colony world, the shortest
period before someone in another system hears about it would be 3 days
(don't imagine any two stars are closer than 3 ly). More likely, 1-2
weeks if your fleet base is a bit back from the front. That does help
to explain some things about the GZGverse.

TomB

--
"Now, I go to spread happiness to the rest of the station. It is a
terrible responsibility but I have learned to live with it."

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

 Thomas Paine

Prev: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies Next: Re: [GZG] How fast is FTL in GZGverse?