Prev: Re: [GZG] Imperium Ships V3 [was] Imperium (GDW/AP) ships as FT SSD's (Doug Evans) Next: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

From: Oerjan Ariander <orjan.ariander1@c...>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 00:15:12 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

Enzo de Ianni wrote:

> >Identical weapons, with identical capabilities,
> >could cost very different amounts to produce in societies with
different
> >tech bases and production infrastructures - but since their
*capabilities*
> >(and thus combat powers) are identical, their game-balance *points
values*
> >would be also identical regardless of who built them. Conversely a
certain
> >amount of money/resources/labour will buy you weapons or vehicles
with a
> >rather different total combat power if you spend them in the US
compared to
> >what you'd get if you spent them in Zimbabwe instead...
>
>but the comparison would not always be in favor of the USA,

Of course it won't. If it were, I'd be unemployed :-)

>as the actual global work division demonstrates... if a weapon system
could
>be produced in Zimbabwe (for example) and such a thing could be made
>with a labor intensive procedure, it could be more convenient to make
>it there.

Very much so. Though in the particular case of Zimbabwe, I suspect that
you'd mostly get cannon fodder with spears and machetes - thanks to Mr.
Mugabe & co. that country currently lacks virtually all kinds of
infrastructure needed for more advanced weapons... ('Course, cannon
fodder
is quite labour intensive to produce too, at least for the mothers :-/ )

>You could even go for a lower quality (accepting  a loss of
>endurance if performance could remain high enough), if the price was
>low enough, with the prevision of a faster substitution or simply
>fielding far more than your enemy.

Certainly. As one of the South African defence companies used to
advertise:
"80% of the capability for 60% of the cost" :-) (Which in itself is
refutation of Robert's idea that monetary costs and combat power are
proportional to one another...)

Regards,

Oerjan

orjan.ariander1@comhem.se