Prev: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies Next: Re: [GZG] Stargrunt suppression and enemies that won't??

[GZG] Military System Sales was Re: FTverse colinies

From: "Tom B" <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 13:09:39 -0400
Subject: [GZG] Military System Sales was Re: FTverse colinies

From: Tony Wilkinson <twilko@ozemail.com.au>

Yeah it could  but who do you sell to? More often than not it will be
just for domestic use. The big suppliers can offer better prices and
have more leeway to cut deals. Also there's the security thing. Israel
won't sell to anyone just it case technical info ends up in the hands of
their enemies.

--> Funny how it was an Israeli drone shot down over Abkasia then,
wasn't it? Hmmmm. Apparently they *do* sell some of their military
technology. And Russia, China, Germany, the US, Brazil, and others
have been (over the last 100 years) tremendous exporters of military
hardware. There are obviously other countries missing from this list.
There is a reason Canada has a mix of home brew, US, South African,
German, and other technologies in its military.

 Australia hasn't been able to sell the Collins sub (very
bad press) and the Bushranger wheeled APC (damn Yanks, Canadians and
Frenchmen).

--> Well, having our own manufacturing plants for just such things, it
comes as no surprise to me that we'd manufacture the Coyote, Bison,
etc. locally. Why this should get one accursed is beyond me. And we
did sell the Aussies some old tank turrets at one point... (I won't
comment on how sad it was seeing Australia take Canadian hand-me-down
hardware...)

--> Ask yourself how many key subcomponent assemblies for military
systems have been sold by places like Japan? I'm betting an awful lot
of computers had chips fabricated in the Pacific Rim. This is another
form of military sales that bring in revenues. So if you develop an
entire vehicle or ship locally and part of that is key subsystems,
then sometimes other forces will want to buy those subsystems for
retrofit or for integration into new designs.

TomB

--
"Now, I go to spread happiness to the rest of the station. It is a
terrible responsibility but I have learned to live with it."

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

 Thomas Paine

Prev: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies Next: Re: [GZG] Stargrunt suppression and enemies that won't??