Prev: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies Next: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrath@p...>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 11:17:59 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies

Robert Mayberry wrote:
> Half of the fun is knowing that the the thing wasn't intended for
> this, and yet making it all work out anyway. I'm reminded of Larry
> Niven's essay about creating the Mote in G-d's Eye (it's in either
> Playgrounds of the Mind or N-Space), and how he extrapolated from a
> model a whole series of assumptions about the underlying tech base and
> society.

 From "Building the Mote in God's Eye" by Larry Niven and Jerry
Pournelle,
collected in N-Space and A Step Farther Out.

Long ago we acquired a commercial model called “The Explorer Ship Leif

Ericsson,” a plastic spaceship of intriguing design. It is shaped
something
like a flattened pint whiskey bottle with a long neck. The “Leif
Ericsson,”
alas, was killed by general lack of interest in spacecraft by model
buyers; a
ghost of it is still marketed in hideous glow-in-the-dark color as some
kind
of flying saucer.

It’s often easier to take a detailed construct and work within its
limits than
it is to have too much flexibility. For fun we tried to make the Leif
Ericsson
work as a model for an Empire naval vessel. The exercise proved
instructive.

First, the model is of a big ship, and is of the wrong shape ever to be
carried aboard another vessel. Second, it had fins, only useful for
at­mosphere flight: what purpose would be served in having atmosphere
capabilities on a large ship?

This dictated the class of ship: it must be a cruiser or battlecruiser.
Battleships and dreadnaughts wouldn’t ever land, and would be
cylindrical or
spherical to reduce surface area. Our ship was too large to be a
destroyer (an
expendable ship almost never employed on missions except as part of a
flotilla). Cruisers and battlecruisers can be sent on independent
missions.

MacArthur, a General Class Battlecruiser, began to emerge. She can enter

atmosphere, but rarely does so, except when long independent assignments
force
her to seek fuel on her own. She can do this in either of two ways: go
to a
supply source, or fly into the hydrogen-rich at­mosphere of a gas giant
and
scoop. There were scoops on the model, as it happens.

She has a large pair of doors in her hull, and a spacious compartment
inside:
obviously a hangar deck for carrying auxiliary craft. Hangar deck is
also the
only large compartment in her, and therefore would be the normal place
of
assembly for the crew when she isn’t under battle con­ditions.

The tower on the model looked useless, and was almost ignored, until it
occurred to us that on long missions not under acceleration it would be
useful
to have a high-gravity area. The ship is a bit thin to have much gravity
in
the “neck” without spinning her far more rapidly than you’d like;
but with the
tower, the forward area gets normal gravity without excessive spin
rates.

And on, and so forth. In the novel, Lenin was designed from scratch; and
of
course we did have to make some modifications in Leif Ericsson before
she
could become INSS MacArthur; but it’s surprising just how much detail
you can
work up through having to live with the limits of a model.

Prev: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies Next: Re: [GZG] FTverse colinies