Prev: Re: [GZG] Fighter Pilot Surival (wasRe: Multi-level rules sought) Next: Re: [GZG] Multi-level rules sought. [TOBECLASSIFIED] [SEC=PERSONAL]

Re: [GZG] Multi-level rules sought.

From: "Michael R. Blair" <pellinoire@y...>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 02:07:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Multi-level rules sought.

Doing battles in RPGs has always been problematical. The standard
solution seems to be to fudge it and have the overall course of the
battle reflect how it is going for the PCs. This has been more
formalised on occasion, the example I am most familiar with is in
Pendragon which allows the PCs to go for glory and thus danger or to
play it safe. My brother did something similar long, long ago in A. D. &
D. (2nd edition) that allowed the PCs a glory modifier – so the
Paladin was always going "Plus 10" for the greatest possible danger and
glory then the heavy cavalry broke through the ice on the frozen lake…

Of course in games with vehicles, especially aircraft or spaceships it
gets nastier – and you can kill the entire party very quickly. The old
Star Warriors board game had hooks to the Star Wars RPG so you PC pilots
and gunners could use their skills and a Star Trek RPG had a similar
relationship with a wargame.

Michael