Prev: Re: [GZG] Multi-level rules sought. Next: Re: [GZG] Multi-level rules sought.

Re: [GZG] Multi-level rules sought.

From: "Robert Mayberry" <robert.mayberry@g...>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:24:44 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Multi-level rules sought.

That's a good point. I'd imagine also that since you can't sink, stall
or get torn up by wind resistance in free space, your odds of being
damaged to the point of being combat ineffective but still being able
to limp back to the carrier are much better.

IE I take a hit that blows out two of my three engines and tears up my
fuselage. I can't maneuver or accelerate sufficiently to be able to do
a combat run, let alone power my weapons, but I've got more than
enough thrust to get back to the carrier. If I were in gravity, I'd
crash; if I were in an atmosphere my ship would break up; if I were at
sea, I'd sink. But I'm not and as long as my engine works and my suit
stays pressurized, I'll get home without a SAR mission even if the
carrier has to break and run.

This might even be one area where a good quality crew on the flight
deck can get a fighter back up even during battle.

On 4/30/08, Ryan Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com> wrote:
> At 8:57 AM -0700 4/30/08, Ken Hall wrote:
> >Good idea. One could model it post-engagement as a "% recovered," as
in n% of fighters lost during the battle are recovered afterward
(straggle in with damage, "plane guard destroyer" picks up survival
pods, etc.). If the fleet doesn't have to jump away from the battle
space, recovery could be higher. If all carriers are lost, it could be
lower. A named character's chances could be based on the overall chance.

> This would be a higher chance of survival and recovery with a space
battle than for a furball over water or over land. Generally, a pilot
ejects and the plane is toast and a total write off. In space, you could
eject from a damaged plane and it could be recovered or you could loose
combat capability but not be able to be immediately recover, being left
to your own devices to twiddle your thumbs until the (hopefully
friendly) SAR craft and shuttles come to tow you back to your fighter.

> I expect that this would work out a GREAT deal like recovery of
damaged and immobilized armor on the battlefield. If you run from the
battlefield however, it would likely also mean you cannot easily recover
immobilized craft and can only recoup those that you are able to
immediately recover before your carrier didibows.
> --
> --
> -		    Data Center Operations Group		 -
> -		  http://web.turner.com/data_center/		 -
> - Ryan Montieth Gill		       One CNN Center SE0813 E	 -
> - Internet Technologies   --	       Data Center Operations	 -
> - Hours 9:30am - 5:30pm Mon - Fri	(8Sdc, 10Sdc IT@3Ndc)	 -
> - Cellular: 404-545-6205	     ( Suwanee and Manassas DCs) -
> - Office: 404-588-6191	      e-mail: Ryan.Gill@cnn.com  -

Robert Mayberry
(678) 984-5113
Robert.Mayberry@gmail.com

Prev: Re: [GZG] Multi-level rules sought. Next: Re: [GZG] Multi-level rules sought.