Prev: Re: [GZG] [Real World] Russian Mig 29 shoots down Georgian UAV Next: [GZG] [AAR][SG2] Woods Ambush (Tom B)

Re: [GZG] [Real World] Russian Mig 29 shoots down Georgian UAV

From: Adrian1 <al.ll@t...>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 19:02:12 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] [Real World] Russian Mig 29 shoots down Georgian UAV

nk I found where it was - Anaklia - on the south east coast of
Abkhazia.  I would love to know what those weird shapes are just to the
south east are.

Incidentally - Google Earth is FUN.

Sylvester Wrzesinski wrote:
> sax@soundingrocket.com wrote:
>

>> You can easily rule out an F-16.  The twin vertical stabilizers is
>> clearly seen, and the F-16 only has a single vertical stabilizer.
>>
>> --Greg
>>

> My mis-type, then. I was referring to the F-15 that another poster had

> referenced. I think that has vertical stabilizers.
>
> Also, link presented lower is for the same UAV type as in video.
Article
> on BBC mentions it's the same model

>>> Assuming enough time and aireal recon, one could probably ID the
section
>>> of coast that is in the footage to some degree of certanty. There's
only
>>> a small portion of coast it could be, realistically.

>>> Okay, without knowing the exact model of UAV, just the fact it was
>>> "purchased from Israel" and coupling that with this link :

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/aircraft/uav/hermes_450/Hermes_45
0.html
>>> Which has multiple pictures of a UAV that seems to have had some
export
>>> success, I believe that the fighter aircraft approached low and to
the
>>> left of the UAV, probably 7-8 o'clock or so (estimated from apparent
>>> position of cams on the UAV and the shot of the landing wheel in
said
>>> footage, including it's support strut). So I don't think the fighter
was
>>> making an attack from the rear. From his maneuvering, he probably
came
>>> up from the rear and then hooked "left" (from the orientation of the
>>> UAV's nose) before swinging right into an attack position. Granted
he
>>> did approach quite closely, but it is also possible he wanted to
eyeball
>>> the target and confirm it was a UAV. (assumption is that it had the
same
>>> radar signal as a small civillian plane. Last thing you want to do
is be
>>> responsable for that kinda thing...)
>>>
>>> That beign said, it seemed damn ballsy to do it. The missile might
be a
>>> bit of overkill, but assuming that they wanted it down quick and for
>>> sure, it's the best way to do it.

They do

>>> That's another good question. They're rather decent sellers IIRC to
>>> anyone with the cash who isn't going to be pointing them right back
at
>>> them... However, it is possible that they might be able to amplify
the
>>> picture and perhaps pull some more identifiers on the aircraft.
>>> Additionally, they might be able to do some photo analysis to
identify
>>> the specific aircraft. Granted they do look similar (varions migs,
F-16)