Prev: Re: [GZG] Full Thrust Lite Next: [GZG] Info on Pandamonium figures

Re: [GZG] Full Thrust Lite

From: Zoe Brain <aebrain@w...>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:25:50 +1000
Subject: Re: [GZG] Full Thrust Lite

Michael Llaneza wrote:
> That's both a proper noun, which type tends to have unique
> pronunciation, and in this case
> nearly predates the Norman invasion (first recorded use as "Slo" way
> back in 1096 per wikipedia). Besides, it's in Berkshire, West of
London
> and in the heart of England's "nearly more dialects than people"
region.

Not that far from Reading - pronounced to rhyme with Wedding.
You can tell where someone lives to within a few miles there, just by
the accent.
Though there are complications - I was born in Earley (SE of Reading by
a mile), but since moving to Australia, have "gone native".
Not to be confused with Maiden Erleigh,  also pronounced "early", but
using the archaic spelling.

When you consider that	the place was where Wessex ended and the Danelaw

began, with Dubliners coming from the west, Vikings coming up the Thames

from the East, Normans and Romans from the south, Brigantes duking it
out with Mercians in the meantime,  all of them leaving colonies next to

each other, you can see why it's a linguistic mess.

Zoe

Prev: Re: [GZG] Full Thrust Lite Next: [GZG] Info on Pandamonium figures