Prev: Re: [GZG] Comments on FT Light Next: Re: [GZG] LITE, LIGHT and other painful matters

Re: [GZG] Comments on FT Light

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 23:28:27 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Comments on FT Light

one of the playtesters, just going to briefly address a couple things.
:-)

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 8:26 AM, Hudak, Michael <mihudak@state.pa.us>
wrote:

> Just a few comments on FT Light after looking over it for an
> evening......
>
> [...]
> Dislikes:
>
> No Rerolls - I understand limiting weapon selection to simpler systems
> for an easy to play ruleset, but rerolling 6's is a lot of the fun of
> beam dice.  The look of glee on a new player's face when they happen
> string a few 6's together is priceless.  And also gives a good
building
> point for additional rules (shields and armor come to mind)

Yeah, but note that there are *no* defensive systems on these ships: no
armor, no shields, etc. This is boiled down, more basic than vanilla FT.
Totally an intro to the game for new players. Once they get used to the
basic core rules, then they can relish and swim in the main rules and
advanced rules. :-)  (and optional rules if they want ;-) )

> Icons - Namely, for Pulse Torps.  May just be a factor of being used
> what the 'old' icons look like, but it's nice to look down on an SSD
and
> at a glance know what weapon systems you have.  Only time I looked
> inside the arc circle would be to see what size beams I have, knowing
> Pulse Torps were a line, needle beams a line and a dot, etc....  If
this
> is the way that the weapons systems are going, then I vote for the old
> icons, but YMMV.

There was some discussion about the icon on the playtest list, but I
think
Jon wants to change things up a little bit, and this is a good place to
start. The more astute amongst you may note that this is the same icon
used
for S'V stingers. When we get to those in the main FT3 rules we will
address
this and have a different icon for those systems. Sometimes change is
good

> Unsure:
>
> Two engine slots - I do like that it's easier for new players, that
they
> don't have to worry about halving an engine on the first hit.  My only
> concern is the unlucky threshold check rolls (or standard Indy rolls)
> that take out full maneuverability with one check.  And as there are
no
> repair rolls in FTL, it kinda sucks for a new player's ship to be dead
> in the water after sustaining a first threshold.  Granted, that's a
1/36
> chance, but some people's 1/36 happen more often than others.....
(You
> know what I mean....)

The idea was to 'break' from the rigid single box for an engine IF
players
wanted to, in order to give different character to ship designs. So, you
COULD have a thrust 4 ship and have one engine block (if it thresholds,
though, it all goes down), or divide it into two engine blocks as per
the
new SSDs with 2 thrust pts each, or even break it up into four engine
blocks of 1 thrust pt each..

What's in YOUR wallet? :-D

> Final Question:
>
> These rules are intended to draw people into the game, and ultimately
> sell some miniatures.  For me, the best spot to do this would be a
> buddy's comic book store where he has heroclix games from time to
time.
> We all know how easy it is to order online from Jon, and quick to
boot,
> but what do I tell my buddy the store owner that would prefer to sell
> the minis through his shop?  I know he won't stock them on a shelf,
but
> I could see getting an order together from people playing.  (Granted,
> this means I need to get myself motivated and PAINT my minis...... And
> then put on some demos. :-))

Well, whaddya waiting for?? Get crackin' ya cracker!  :-D

> Conclusion:
>
> All in all, I like the FTL ruleset.  It's what I'll use to bring my
> daughter into the fold.  I have a few concerns, but ultimately they're
> minor, and I can always move up when she's ready.  :-)  Thanks for
> making these!

I've a friend here who is going to use it to introduce his nephew to the
game. :-)   Now he's trying to decide which fleets to buy and keeps
looking
over mine to see what's what. :-D

Thanks for the feedback, Mike!

Mk

Prev: Re: [GZG] Comments on FT Light Next: Re: [GZG] LITE, LIGHT and other painful matters