Prev: [GZG] Comments on FT Light Next: Re: [GZG] Comments on FT Light

Re: [GZG] Comments on FT Light

From: Andy Hemming <nonsense_factory@h...>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:10:33 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Comments on FT Light

you wanna be careful.... you sound grateful, & that seems to be a
problem in these here parts...

:D

From: mihudak@state.pa.us> To: gzg-l@vermouth.csua.berkeley.edu>
Subject: [GZG] Comments on FT Light> > Just a few comments on FT Light
after looking over it for an> evening...... > > Likes:> > General
Concept - It's nice to have a simple sheet of rules that can be> handed
out to new players. The rules are abbreviated, but not to the> point
that a 'full' game can't be played. Still meaty enough to have> fun,
while whetting the appetites for more. And as the complete rules> are
also online for free, it's quite easy to upgrade after a few games> >
Recording Clock Facing - Brilliant! And so simple. After all the> moving
around, an easy mechanic to zero your ship to it's proper> orientation.
Helps solve questions of whether ships are in arc after a> person
manually moves a ship and questions arise if it was> moved/oriented
properly....> > Dislikes:> > No Rerolls - I understand limiting weapon
selection to simpler systems> for an easy to play ruleset, but rerolling
6's is a lot of the fun of> beam dice. The look of glee on a new
player's face when they happen to> string a few 6's together is
priceless. And also gives a good building> point for additional rules
(shields and armor come to mind)> > Icons - Namely, for Pulse Torps. May
just be a factor of being used to> what the 'old' icons look like, but
it's nice to look down on an SSD and> at a glance know what weapon
systems you have. Only time I looked> inside the arc circle would be to
see what size beams I have, knowing> Pulse Torps were a line, needle
beams a line and a dot, etc.... If this> is the way that the weapons
systems are going, then I vote for the old> icons, but YMMV.> > Unsure:>
> Two engine slots - I do like that it's easier for new players, that
they> don't have to worry about halving an engine on the first hit. My
only> concern is the unlucky threshold check rolls (or standard Indy
rolls)> that take out full maneuverability with one check. And as there
are no> repair rolls in FTL, it kinda sucks for a new player's ship to
be dead> in the water after sustaining a first threshold. Granted,
that's a 1/36> chance, but some people's 1/36 happen more often than
others..... (You> know what I mean....)> > Final Question:> > These
rules are intended to draw people into the game, and ultimately> sell
some miniatures. For me, the best spot to do this would be a> buddy's
comic book store where he has heroclix games from time to time.> We all
know how easy it is to order online from Jon, and quick to boot,> but
what do I tell my buddy the store owner that would prefer to sell> the
minis through his shop? I know he won't stock them on a shelf, but> I
could see getting an order together from people playing. (Granted,> this
means I need to get myself motivated and PAINT my minis...... And> then
put on some demos. :-))> > > Conclusion:> > All in all, I like the FTL
ruleset. It's what I'll use to bring my> daughter into the fold. I have
a few concerns, but ultimately they're> minor, and I can always move up
when she's ready. :-) Thanks for> making these!> >
Get Hotmail on your mobile. Text MSN to 63463 now!
http://mobile.uk.msn.com/pc/mail.aspx

Prev: [GZG] Comments on FT Light Next: Re: [GZG] Comments on FT Light