Prev: Re: [GZG] ESU ships names (Look from the Russian side) Next: Re: [GZG] ESU ships names (Look from the Russian side)

Re: [GZG] ESU ships names (Look from the Russian side)

From: Jerry Han <jhan@w...>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 00:42:39 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] ESU ships names (Look from the Russian side)

Indy wrote:
> I'm rather partial to some of the names the English have given their
> ships. :-)  Full of boldness, character, verve and whatnot. And since
> the NAC is primarily English-led, I figure most of their vessels will
> follow those traditions, with a sprinkling of US and Canadian naming
> conventions mixed in for good measure. :-)

What Canadian naming convention?  (8-)

Canadian warships follow very closely to British practice, which is
understandable, given that the Royal Canadian Navy only really split
from
the Royal Navy just before World War I.  Throw in the fact that Canada
has
only ever had a handful of capital ships in her history, which were
ex-British
carriers, and, odds are with the exception of city names, a ship name in
the
Royal Navy could appear in the Royal Canadian Navy and vice versa.

Currently, with the exception of some support/training ships, every
active duty ship in the Canadian Navy is either named after a Canadian
city, or, is one of the three 'Tribal' destroyers we have left.  (Not
the
WWII ones, these are c. 1970 original build ASW ships converted to be
AAW / Task Force leaders.)

JGH

--
** Jerry Han - jhan@warpfish.com - http://www.warpfish.com/jhan -