Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if? Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

From: "John Lerchey" <lerchey@a...>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 12:37:00 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

Fair point.

What we've been doing in DS3 is to have the remote units *operators*
take morale tests when the bots get damaged to see if they pull 'em out.
 OA says that ops tend to fall in love with their toys. :)

I've only played a little with actual robots, but plan to do some more
with it.  Yes, they have advantages in no morale, but they should also
lack in tactical flexibility (or maybe, depending on your background and
desired limitations).  They also likely cost more (in battle
effectiveness) than living units.  And they likely don't really take
cover. :)

Things can be offset.

For the record, I *require* strong morale systems for my more serious
games.	That was one of the biggest failures of a lot of the older games
like Starguard and Strike Team Alpha.  Ok mechanics, no morale.  No
communications.  No control problems.  Too unrealistic (yeah, like I can
say that when I want disruptors and blasters!). :)

> On Feb 9, 2008 4:30 PM, John Lerchey <lerchey@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>> I disagree.	Adding "bots" (remote controlled gun drones,
terminators,
>> etc.) simply modifies the specific sides infantry.  They are all
still
>> able to be engaged by "standard" infantry, and do not have to remove
>> the fun of the game.
>>
>> Then again, I like DS types of battles with companies to battalions,
so
>> my take on what such might do to SG is somewhat limited. :)
>
> bots = "I don't like being limited by morale rules and supressions"
>
> IMHO.
>
> That may not be why you're saying it.  It's why some people are saying
> it.
>
> It removes a major strength and emphasis of the rules.  A game where
> robots dominate (and they will, if you allow them to be more or less
> infantry immune to morale and supression with no balancing
disadvantages)
> will not be Stargrunt.
>
> John -- "Thousands of Sarmatians, Thousands of Franks, we've slain
them
> again and again.  We're looking for thousands of Persians." --Vita
> Aureliani

John K. Lerchey
Assistant Director for Incident Response
Information Security Office
Carnegie Mellon University