Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if? Next: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if?

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

From: Phillip Atcliffe <atcliffe@n...>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 12:19:33 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

Ronnfeldt wrote:
>> Even without this, training of human remote pilots is going to be
easier than real pilots, since (as I believe you said, but I've snipped
it now) they can learn from their mistakes. No more problems like the
RAF faced in the Battle of Britain.

> In addition to pilots being able to learn from their mistakes, there
is one far more important factor easing pilot training:

> Real fighter pilots need to be physically fit enough to handle multi-G
turns. A guy siting back at HQ operating a remote doesn't need to be in
very good
> shape. That provides a substantially larger pool of potential pilots.

Dale Brown made use of this idea in his /Dreamland /novels. One of the
heroes of the series is injured during an operation and becomes a
paraplegic, but he can still be a combat pilot by sitting in the back of

a modified B-52 and operating the two drone UAVs that the "Megafortress"

carries. There's a slight(?) touch of Tom Clancy about the series, but
they do foreshadow what might come, and also make the point that, with
remotes available, a wounded serviceman does not become ineffective or
incapable in combat, even if s/he is immobile. If remotes can't do it
all and only have the capability to back up the PBI (why do I suddenly
remember the battalions of Iraqis trying to surrender to a couple of
Apache helicopters? :-) ), who better to control them than squad- or
platoon-mates of the soldiers on the ground?

Phil

Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if? Next: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if?