Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if? Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

From: "john tailby" <John_Tailby@x...>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 19:14:51 +1300
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if?

exactly the sort of example I was talking about.

What's the radar signature of a WW1 biplane? there is very little metal
used so they could be hard to spot. They fly so low and slow that a
raptor would be hard pushed to engage it with it's cannon and even then
I'd bet the WW1 plane could out turn it. With radar guided weapons and
minimal infrared signature the raptor might have a hard time of
engaging.

The WW1 plane has little chance of engaging the Raptor.

I don't know that remote controlled drones can fly as well as manned air
combat. They are fine for surveillance but I don't think they could do
air -air without an onboard AI and a large amount of bandwidth to
transmit the sensor data to the human operators.

The other challenges of using remote control drones is maintaining
communications. At the speed a warplane travels a few seconds delay to
bounce the signal from one or more satellites to base and back could
produce an unacceptable lag.

There is also the susceptibility of the "droid army" where if you
command signal is lost then your remote drone would all lose control and
resort to onboard computer backups and preplanned flight paths, Pretty
easy for a human operated plane to take apart a drone then.

I certainly see why an airforce that makes fighter pilots the top of
it's pecking order wants to keep funding to manned operations. The last
thing you want is to be replaced by a geek with a games consol.