Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] First new release of 2008! Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] First new release of 2008!

Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Infantry weapons

From: Ken Hall <khall39@y...>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 06:13:14 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Infantry weapons

never been an infantryman, but I've got an interest in riflery so I'll
offer my two cents. Short answer: range and round matter a lot. For
example:

  "Primitive:" Examples drawn from the 20th Century inlcude the Mauser
K98, Enfield SMLE of various marks, Swiss Schmidt-Rubin K.11 (and K.31
carbine), Russian Mosin-Nagant M91/30 (the Finnish variants are better
made and approach the Swiss rifles in quality), Springfield M1917, and a
few others. These weapons fire a full-power .30 caliber (or thereabouts)
cartridge. Although not mentioned, the semi-automatic battle rifle (M1
Garand) probably ought to be added here. Effective range in the hands of
a trained infantryman is 600+ meters.

  "Basic:" Here is where a more precise definition is required.
Technically, "assault rifle" refers to a weapon such as the M16/M4, SKS,
AK47, AKMS et al. These use an intermediate-power cartridge such as the
7.62x39, 5.56x.45, or 5.45 x something or other. Effective range is
about 300 meters or so, but they outstrip semi-autos and bolt rifles in
close-quarters battle because of the select-fire capability. However,
the term may also refer to the select-fire battle rifle such as the M-14
or FN/FAL, which have the select-fire capability of the assault rifles
(more properly termed carbines), wedded to a full-power cartridge
(7.62x51 NATO, for example). Effective range in semi-auto is equivalent
to the bolt-action and semi-auto rifles. (So why did they fall out of
favor? Weight of the weapon and basic load, among other things--ammo in
volume is heavy.)

  A third candidate for this category is the submachine gun such as the
Thompson M1927, M3 "grease gun," Uzi, or MP40(?). These generally fire
pistol-caliber cartridges, or the equivalent (an exception would be the
M1 carbine, firing a .30 carbine round). Small and handy, full-auto rate
of fire is impressive, but the combination of relatively short barrel
and pistol-cartridge characteristics limits effective range to about 150
meters.

  So it depends on the level of detail you want to model, I reckon. I'll
leave the vonder veapons to others. I hope this is somewhat helpful.

  Best,
  Ken

Ground Zero Games <jon@gzg.com> wrote:
    Following on from last week's interesting discussions, I want to
pose
a question to the list-mind; this is something that has already been
talked over on the test list, but I wanted to widen the discussion to
include everyone on the main list, especially those of you who have
done this stuff "for real".....

In reasonably open terrain, assuming clear lines of sight, do you
foresee the advance of INFANTRY weapons technology having much effect
on engagement ranges against personnel targets?
I'm working on ideas for SG-style 15mm combat, and trying to decide
if the RANGE of infantry weapons fire should change with the tech
level of the weapons, or if just the effectiveness of the fire should
change with the overall engagement ranges remaining constant.
I'm looking at tech levels ranging from "Primitive" (bolt-action
rifles etc), "Basic" (automatic assault rifles), "Enhanced" (advanced
combat rifles), "Superior" (Gauss and laser weapons) and "Advanced"
(plasma and fusion weapons).

Discuss...... ;-)

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] First new release of 2008! Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] First new release of 2008!