Prev: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question: was Re: [SG3]: What if? Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] First new release of 2008!

Re: [GZG] [SG2] Momentum

From: "Owen Glover" <oglover@b...>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 20:01:16 +1100
Subject: Re: [GZG] [SG2] Momentum

I think that the Crossfire concept of Movement/Initiative/Interruption
should work well enough.

IMHO I think you could still carry on with the Single action for each
squad as that very much equates to the actions in Crossfire.

Loss of Initiative and Reactive Fire are the two elements that is the
basis of the game mechanism in Crossfire. Failure to get a Suppression
in Direct Fire results in loss, as does fail to Rally. In Stargrunt
would this equate to No Casualties or perhaps a result of Potential
Casualties but doesn't matter if you cause the casualties?

For the other player I think you would need to permit continuous
Reactive Fire but how to represent the No Fire result if the reacting
unit fails to get a PIN?

The other major feature element of Crossfire is the "no ruler" concept.
That is there is no limit to movement and no range restrictions on most
weapons. As you mentioned Initiative is lost once the activating player
has failed in some task and that includes Suppressing an enemy in ranged
fire or losing a close combat. Implications to Stargrunt? Well, on a 6'
x 4' playing area with reasonable amount of terrain most troops are
within at least extreme range so the range comparison shouldn't cause us
too much issue.

Overall I think a few playtest games would sort out a few kinks but on
first impressino I think it might work very well indeed!

Good catch Damo!

Owen