Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if? Next: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] First new release of 2008!

Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if?

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 09:02:55 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if?

At 8:47 PM -0600 2/1/08, John Atkinson wrote:

>Ummm. . . if the enemy has enough indirect fire to drop rounds on
>every single transmitter in a modern army, you are so badly
>overmatched and outnumbered that you may as well go home.  If I'm
>attacking with a brigade of 5,000 Soldiers, and I have say, 1 radio
>per 5 men, then the sheer volume of transmissions is going to
>overwhelm the direction-finding weenies.

Mortar rounds aren't far from having GPS
receivers. If I can DF a unit with two points, I
can direct even dumb mortar rounds on them no? DF
systems are going to be using some pretty sharp
hardware. While I don't know the ability of say
prophet  to filter transmissions, I do know it's
for tactical level intercepts. Give the system
concept a century and I'd fully expect that
transmissions by in individual troops will enable
op for to localize their position. It'd be
tantamount to your enemy being able to look at
your blue force tracker map over your shoulder,
down to every transmitting unit.

>  Especially when you consider
>that most of the transmission are a second or two long.  Indirect fire
>dropping in on transmitters will remain reserved for folks talking on
>the radio long enough to identify them as Important People, not SGT
>Joe Teamleader.

Depends on the tasking. If I'm tasked with
defending a point and I know I have a squad
attacking my position and I can localize platoons
who are in the CEP of a couple of mortar rounds
being able to drop the rounds on them would be
handy.

>Which isn't the point I was making.  Read what's written.
>
>With high-tech gear on either side, or on both, the combat will not
>strongly resemble WWII at the tactical level.

True but we utterly diverged from the original
point. Light infantry with modern weapons against
heavy infantry with modern weapons and body
armor. Hmm, fancy a walk through the jungle?
Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)

Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if? Next: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] First new release of 2008!