Prev: Re: [GZG] Opposed roll randomness (Was: [SG3]: What if?) Next: Re: [GZG] Noam's 18 seconds of fame :-D

Re: [GZG] Opposed roll randomness (Was: [SG3]: What if?)

From: "Binhan Lin" <binhan.lin@g...>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 12:36:25 -0700
Subject: Re: [GZG] Opposed roll randomness (Was: [SG3]: What if?)

basic calculations:

Opposed die roll calculations

Player A vs. Player B

D6 vs D6

Player A has 41% chance of winning an opposed die roll (15 wins, 15
losses,
6 ties)

D8 vs D6

Player A has 56% chance of winning an opposed die roll (27 wins, 15
losses,
6 ties)

D10 vs D6

Player A has 65% chance of winning an opposed die roll (39 wins, 15
losses,
6 ties)

D12 vs D6

Player A has 71% chance of winning an opposed die roll (51 wins, 15
losses,
6 ties)

Overall the statistics look ok as a D12 unit should win at a ratio of
almost
3:1 compared to a d6 unit which will win at less than the rate of 1:1.
Which
makes the d12 unit roughly 3 times more effective than the d6 unit.

If you ignore ties, the numbers increase slightly:

Opposed die roll calculations

Player A vs. Player B

D6 vs D6

Player A has 50% chance of winning an opposed die roll (15 wins, 15
losses,
6 ties)

D8 vs D6

Player A has 64% chance of winning an opposed die roll (27 wins, 15
losses,
6 ties)

D10 vs D6

Player A has 72% chance of winning an opposed die roll (39 wins, 15
losses,
6 ties)

D12 vs D6

Player A has 77% chance of winning an opposed die roll (51 wins, 15
losses,
6 ties)

Overall the statistics look ok as a D12 unit should win at a ratio of
3:1
compared to a d6 unit which will win at the rate of 1:1.

Using this as a baseline, you would then need to determine if a d12 unit
is
3 times better than a d6 unit and price them accordingly.
--Binhan