Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if? Next: Re: [GZG] : My own thoughts on CA weapons etc

Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if?

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 20:59:11 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if?

On Jan 30, 2008 7:28 PM, Ryan Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com> wrote:
> At 12:03 PM -0600 1/30/08, John Atkinson wrote:
> >

> >Depends on the situation--and remember that it isn't man vs. man, it
> >should be platoon vs. squad.
>
> Or squad vs section. :-)

Nope.  Your assault on a dug-in enemy in an urban area should be at
least at 5-1 odds.  With fire support to blow apart strongpoints.

> True, door entry situations are a problem.
> Magazine changes can take an eternity. There are
> rational and effective ways to trip your stack of
> men up as they enter. A secondary barrier after
> the door with sandbags and other materials to
> stop ballistic rounds would be good. Nails
> through boards up the stairs to stop you getting
> up to the second floor is also an old but good
> method. And of course basement and 2nd floor
> mouse holes to get out once they've ceded the
> ground to you. We are talking 1st world force vs
> 1st world force here though, not joe partisan vs
> the Storm Troopers.

That's ridiculous.  Against a fortress, you just crack it with a 120mm
HEAT-MP round or a couple Hellfires.  Combined Arms is a
mother-fucker.

> >Against a mob of civilians, yes.  Against troops, less so.
>
> Less so, but when everyone's been in the
> firefight for a while and everyone's scampering
> for more ammo, it has carried the day in more
> than one battle from WWII and later even. Mount
> Tumbledown is a good example I think. The ARgies
> even had MGs and snipers and the brits still
> swarmed them in close fighting.

Against Argentine conscripts, with fire support from a modern combined
arms formation including light tanks and naval gunfire. . .

At night.

In crappy terrain.

>   On the night of 5-6 April, during the silent
> attack on the Resse-es-Zouai, Subadar Lal Bahadur
> Thapa was Second-in-Command of D Company. The
> garrison of the outer posts were all killed by
> Subadar Lal Bahadur Thapa and hi men by kukri or
> bayonet in the first rush and the enemy

Nota Bene:  Night attack using stealth before night vision devices
were invented.

> They certainly provide you with an option for
> silent attack. Assume for 1st World SG3 level
> tech that the light infantry have their heavy
> blades/axes with very sharp modern edges, good
> but light armor for protection from fragments and
> suits to mask their IR signatures against NVG and
> the like that the more heavily equipped but
> radiating troops will be carrying.

It's a set of assumptions.  But your assumption requires that your
light guys get to within ax/sword range undetected, because they will
have to switch out, and I get a couple seconds to light them up if I
do catch them before they get that close.

Stalking people is hard.  In World War II, any given country could
only produce a handful of units with enough fieldcraft to do this in
any numbers.  Stalking people with night vision is much, much harder.
It is possible that a handful of folks could do it--but you really,
really don't want to bet on it.

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if? Next: Re: [GZG] : My own thoughts on CA weapons etc