Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if? Next: Re: [GZG] [SG3]:Whatif? [SEC=PERSONAL]

Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if?

From: Mark Kinsey <Kinseym@p...>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 23:39:38 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if?

Damo wrote:
> If you were working on an SG3 what would you add / try / tweak?
>
> Some things off the top of my head:
>
> 1) I'd toy with armor meaning something in close combat.
> 2) Vehicles having variable speed.
> 3) A "momentum" mechanic ala- Crossfire e.g. you keep performing
> actions until you fail.  This would assume a certain size to the
> battlefield.
>
> Anyone else?
>
> Damo

1)  Well right now one thing that SG2 does not model is the effect troop

quality has on whether a unit becomes pinned. As it stands, under the
equivalent volume and effectiveness of fire, a veteran unit and a green
unit would both be pinned. I've heard accounts of elite units (such as
the SEAL team portrayed in "Lone Survivor") who receive huge volumes of
fire from green troops and continue to return fire. You can't model this

behavior in StarGrunt.

2) Something needs to be done to the vehicle rules. I find them
difficult to run, and when I do get them right the end result is not
satisfying. Either nothing happens, the vehicle is disabled, or it's
destroyed. If it takes a while to determine the result, I want there to
be some granularity at the end.

3) Hordes, gangs of civilians portrayed in a meaningful way. I don't
think you could portray something like "Black Hawk Down" with SG2. If
you have lots of troops that have not had basic training they use a D4.
I find they're not at all effective or fun to play.

-Mark Kinsey

Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if? Next: Re: [GZG] [SG3]:Whatif? [SEC=PERSONAL]