Prev: Re: [GZG] Painting Guide for Starships Next: Re: [GZG] Painting Guide for Starships

Re: [GZG] Painting Guide for Starships

From: maserati@s...
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 19:00:32 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] Painting Guide for Starships

Why on earth why you paint a starship this way ? Oh, wait... :-)

My painting technique, especially for ships, is to start with black
primer, and drybrush layers of successively lighter shades until the
overall effect is what I'm looking for. The drybrush dries faster, so
you can mass produce miniatures, and you never end up with a muddy wash.
A couple of shades of grey with a few areas picked out in color works
very well and paints up very quickly.

A good drybrush technique involves a small amount of paint on the brush,
with the bulk of it promptly wiped off on something dry and with some
texture (paper towel, palette with layers of dried paint, etc). Done
with a wide brush you can get a layer onto a ship of any size in
relatively few strokes. The first layer or two will look awful, just
streaky dark grey over black, but once the middle layer goes on and the
highlights start popping out it looks great. Pick out some details and
you have a good paint job in minutes per miniature.

You'll have a hard time producing the quality and quantity you get with
drybrushing with a wash-based technique. I'll get some pictures online
in a week or so when I get around to finishing a batch of BSG ships.

I'll use a wash in certain circumstances, like any large smooth colored
area, but when I do I prefer acrylic inks to anything else (thanks
Citadel !). Thinning paint produces terrible washes.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Painting Guide for Starships Next: Re: [GZG] Painting Guide for Starships