Prev: [GZG] Painting Guide for Starships Next: Re: [GZG] Painting Guide for Starships

Re: [GZG] Painting Guide for Starships

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 11:45:08 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] Painting Guide for Starships

PoorPainting-R-I, as I was very satisfied with the simple dark green,
EE(tm), base coat with simple hand painted insignia for my ESU. Went for
the WWII CCCP tank look...

However, a friend had fair luck with basing black, heavy drybrushing
dark
gray, and light drybrushing light gray, though I thought it looked a BIT
chalky after the last, for his NSL. He had some waterslide iron crosses
that worked well.

My one pride-of-ship-painting goes back to old Superior Terran ships.
Simple diagonal stripes mid-ship worked VERY well with the flying
wedges.
Prolly work, as well, for FSE. I liked a very light color for a base
coat,
and then same side of cool/warm color divide. I had almost sky blue
base,
then dark blue and purple/maroon for the stripes.

Wish I'd known about washes, back then...

Something to think about until a real painter replies. ;->=

I do think you may need to thin any wash you may do; my limited
observation
is that, for something like spaceships, it should be almost invisible
until
dry, and then, very subtle. Unless, of course, you are going for the
gothic
space look.

The_Beast