Prev: Re: [GZG] Inara's Shuttle Next: Re: [GZG] Microcarriers(was:NewCampaign) [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Re: [GZG] Microcarriers (was: NewCampaign)

From: "john tailby" <John_Tailby@x...>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 19:51:14 +1300
Subject: Re: [GZG] Microcarriers (was: NewCampaign)

In our rules Heavy is a modification to a fighter type and just provides

extra defences for a specific type of fighter. Fast is also a
modification
in this case it gives the attack fighters a primary move of 36 MU.

So a heavy attack fighter is an attack fighter that has a -1 drm against
it
when shot at by PDS weapons.

Torpedo fighters are more effective (and out own created MKP fighters)
are
nasty against enemy capital ships but not so against multiple smaller
ships.
Attack fighters are better against 3 frigates and effective enough
against a
light cruiser over multiple turns.

The mass 13 carriers carry 1 squadron each and about 75% of their cost
is
their fighter squadron.

We wanted to play games more than worry about repair / rearm logistics
so
ships that suffer hull damage or need to replenish expendable munitions
can
do so with a penalty to their strategic movement.

I had about 9 squadrons of normal fighters defending my ships ad was
attacked by 29 squadrons of attack fighters. Assuming my defending
fighters
got average kills, so 21 fighters and some from scatter packs on my
ships
that left about 140 fighters to attack me. Against my unshielded ships
each
attack fighter does about 1 point of damage per fighter so thats about
140
points of damage to absorb at about 30% mass on hull and armour thats
about
500 mass dead then and there.

Next turn thats aboout 120 fighters and so on. It's pretty brutal
really.

We do treat fighter pilots as expendable munitions, Carriers regularly
dump
and run. I fact quite a popular tactic is to drop out of hyper space,
launch
fighters and then warm up the FTL and then jump. It's pretty effective
against fortifications as is a similar attack by missile equipped
fleets.

It's perfectly viable so you need to work out a way to counter it, there
are
a number of them.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Inara's Shuttle Next: Re: [GZG] Microcarriers(was:NewCampaign) [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]