Prev: Re: [GZG] FTquestionStreamlining [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED] Next: Re: [GZG] A possible Scenario Generator (tongue in cheeky)

Re: [GZG] New Campaign

From: davebill <davebill@c...>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 19:56:03 +1200
Subject: Re: [GZG] New Campaign

Hi John,

I was wondering how your new campaign was going. Any updates?

I assume you're playing the Daleks - do you adopt tech and weapons
systems
so your ships appear/behave 'Daleky', or is Dalek more of a proper noun
for
your 'empire' than, say, Mon Calamari?

There are some terms in the rules, as linked, that I don't understand,
or
haven't come across - are they perhaps derived from earlier rules your
group
has used? Terms such as "Strategic Impulse", the varying levels of FTL
drive, Black Globe Generators, etc. Is there a more complete set of
rules
available on the web?

For FTLing from a battle, my house rule is that all ships must first rig
for
jump and cycle their drives. This is successful on a roll of 6 on a d6,
5-6
on the second try, etc. Once ships have successfully cycled their
drives,
they may jump when ordered (this is pre-plotted as normal), so the
quickest
a ship could re-jump would be one turn eg jump in and cycle drives, jump
out
the next turn if the cycling was successful. This gets interesting in a
pursuit game where there's always some silly blighter who can't cycle
his
drive, while the rest of the squadron is hot to go and the KV SDN is
getting
closer. If you play Captains' Quality, this can be used to modify the
cycle
drives roll.

Regards

David

> From: "john tailby" <John_Tailby@xtra.co.nz>
> Subject: [GZG] New Campaign

> Well we are about to start a new campaign.
>
> We have ten players split into 5 teams of 2.
>
> The campaign map and campaign rules we are using are here.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~colefam/Full%20thrust%20Campaign%20Rules%20
and%20changes1.doc

> http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~colefam/CampaignMap1.xls
>
> The map loops back onto itself so everyone is equally surrounded.
>
> We created a list of all the technology and assigned them a values
based
> on their strategic flexibility. So things like beams and railguns got
> high value and technologies with limited strategic flexibility got a
low
> value. All players got 10 points of technology to chose from.
>
> For this campaign we have made strategic speed inversely proportional
> the size of the ship, so bigger equals slower.
>
> We have 2 types of table.
> Hyperspace encounters are on a 48MU diameter fixed position circular
> table. Ships enter randomly from the edge.
> Planetary fights are on a rolling table
>
> The pre battle hype can be found here.
>
> We usually have some battle reports either written by the players or
by
> our intergalactic news show anchored by Morbo the news monster and
Cindy.

> If people are interested, I'll post the links to the battle reports.
>
> Most people are theming their empires from sci-fi shows. I am the
Daleks.

> If people have any good links to Dalek quotes or sound clips that
would be
> appreciated. I'd also be interested in pictures of Dalek Spacecraft.
>
> War starts this Saturday.
>
> The enemies of the Daleks will be exterminated. the Daleks will
Triumph.