Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG] Vehicle fire against infantry Next: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 1, Issue 5

Re: [GZG] [SG] Vehicle fire against infantry

From: Samuel Penn <sam@g...>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 21:50:30 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] [SG] Vehicle fire against infantry

On Wednesday 19 September 2007 20:41:37 Allan Goodall wrote:
> On 9/19/07, Samuel Penn <sam@glendale.org.uk> wrote:
> > Does anyone have house rules for fleshing out SG vehicle weapons in
> > a bit more detail?
>
> I worked on a set, but they aren't in much of a condition to hand over
> to anyone. I've been working on them for a couple of years. Last year
> I started to use DS3 concepts to fix some of the SG2 issues. They
> covered a raft of issues, including the difference between heavy
> weapons designed for killing infantry versus "big shot" heavy weapons,
> hull down aspect, six sided armour (top, bottom, front, rear, left,
> right), more realistic missiles, etc., etc.

Sounds interesting. Though SG tends to be focused on infantry, its
tendency towards a small number of vehicles (compared to Dirtside)
would allow more detail without slowing things down too much.
I've only played SG a few times so far, but vehicles do seem to
be overly simplistic.

> Part of the reason is that there's been so little discussion of SG2
> that my interests have started to wane.

Our group has started playing recently (and I'm no longer the only
one with figures for it), so there's bound to be more questions and
(hopefully) discussion (actually, I had a number of questions to ask
about a month ago, but the list died and I've forgotten most of them).

> > What got me thinking about this was trying to design a Gunspider
> > (SF25-65, anti-personnel version)[1]. Given that the model is
> > about size 2, and is supposed to be anti-personnel, it'd be nice
> > if there was a reason to choose a certain weapon configuration
> > (as it is, twin RFAC/1 or GAC/2 makes absolutely no difference
> > given its role). Sticking just SAWs on it soon runs into the
> > limit on number of weapons and still leaves lots of empty space.
>
> For RFACs, I gave them an impact of D12 x size class against infantry.
> So an RFAC/1 did D12 impact, and an RFAC/2 did D12 x 2 impact. I left
> the GAC as D8 impact, but that's in the first draft. The second draft
> was going to address that.

The GAC is more powerful than the RFAC against vehicles, but
maybe it should have a higher FP instead due to high rate of
fire?

For things like this, I have visions of the scene in "Saving
Private Ryan" where a heavy weapon (20mm cannon?) takes apart
(literally) the allied squad clambering over the German tank
during the final battle. My lack of knowledge about military
hardware should become apparent at this point :-)

> > Also, does anyone have suggestions for Dirtside style SLAM
> > systems or APFC in Stargrunt?
>
> APFC was one of the things I had to work out.

My rough idea, is that it's an attack which is triggered by
infantry moving within 6" of the vehicle. It fires during the
infantry's action (if they move), not the vehicle's action,
probably with an affect similar to a booby trap.

--
Be seeing you,			       http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.			    Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@glendale.org.uk

Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG] Vehicle fire against infantry Next: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 1, Issue 5