Prev: Re: [GZG] Fwd:[from Jon T] FT Screens & FMA (was:Re: FMA Quest) Next: Re: [GZG] A New Screen System

Re: [GZG] A New Screen System

From: Oerjan Ariander <orjan.ariander1@c...>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 18:30:15 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] A New Screen System

Stiltman wrote:

>One way or another, I just don't like the whole PSB behind human
screens
>in this game.	What self-respecting military mind designs a defensive
>system that completely overlooks pretty much all the most devastating
>weapons both your own and every other species has ever designed and
then
>invests 5 or 10% of their warships' mass in it, which basically all
comes
>out of the ship's weapons payload?  Neat, so you reduce the damage from

>one particular limited class of weapons by 20-30%, do absolutely
nothing
>against all the others, and in the mean time your own firepower is
reduced
>by 25% or so in return.  Awesome plan.

Mass for mass and point for point, the most devastating weapons in the
current Full Thrust rules are the standard B2 batteries, standard
fighters
(when not opposed by sufficient anti-fighter defences), and the Phalon
Plasma Bolts (likewise). Last I checked screens protected against all of

these weapons :-/ (For those who use the beta-test weapons, screens also

protect against Grasers, EMP beams and AMTs.)

The numerous screen-skipping weapons in Full Thrust fall in three
categories:

* Direct-fire single-shot weapons  (SMP, MKP) with short range and
narrow
fire arcs. They pack a great punch if they get to fire at all, but they
also restrict the user to very predictable tactics and forces him into
prime B2 killing range.

* Direct-fire multi-shot weapons (K-guns, P-torps, Needle beams).
Averaged
over range these weapons inflict at best 80% as much damage per weapon
cost
against unscreened targets as similarly-ranged beam batteries do, and
often
less. IOW, if your opponent uses these weapons to counter your screens,
he
voluntarily gives up some 20-30% of his potential (ie., beam) firepower
against *all* your ships (including those escorts that are too small to
carry screens at all) in order to avoid having his beam firepower
reduced
by 20-30% against *some* of your ships (ie. the ones that have
screens)...
Awesome plan?

* Placed-marker 'single-shot' weapons (SMs, HMs, torpedo fighters) that
a greater or lesser extent have to predict the target's manoeuvres to
hit
and pray that they aren't smothered by the targets' PDSs or equivalent.
Screens don't defend against these weapons, that's true - you'll have to

rely on manoeuvre, false targets (BJs) and point-defences for that...
but
since this is an even narrower selection of weapons than the ones
screens
protect against, missiles and torpedo fighters by themselves hardly make

screens useless :-/

>(It may shock you all to know that I almost never used screens in my
ship
>designs for mostly these reasons...)

That *is* a bit surprising, considering that those designs of yours that
can find described on this list were said to carry level-2 screens...
(IIRC
for protection against plasma bolts, which you and your opponent seemed
be quite fond of at the time.) But if you say so <shrug>

Regards,

Oerjan
orjan.ariander1@comhem.se

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [GZG] Fwd:[from Jon T] FT Screens & FMA (was:Re: FMA Quest) Next: Re: [GZG] A New Screen System