Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] question on Missiles/subpacks Next: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Oops, missed a bit! (was: New SF 2mm (or 6mm, or 15mm...)!

Re: [GZG] [FT] question on Missiles/subpacks

From: Zoe Brain <aebrain@w...>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 13:48:32 +1000
Subject: Re: [GZG] [FT] question on Missiles/subpacks

Richard Bell wrote:

> On 7/24/07, *DOCAgren@aol.com <mailto:DOCAgren@aol.com>*
> <DOCAgren@aol.com <mailto:DOCAgren@aol.com>> wrote:
>
>     *It is an odd one..  and I know this might require more of a fluff
>     answer the a book 1.
>
>     But can for example a FSE built missile launcher be reloaded with
>     NI or OUDF or other nations missiles?  Same question on the
Subpacks.*

> While you are hoping for either a yes, or  no, the correct answer is
> 'it depends'.  If the FSE missile launcher is mounted on an FSE
> warship. the odds of it being able to use NI or OUDF missiles is
> likely to be low; unless, the FSE has a reason to conduct joint
> operations, or the FSE supplies the missiles launchers used on NI and
> OUDF warships.  If the FSE missile launcher is mounted on an NI
> vessel, of course the NI will be able to reload it NI missiles (which
> would be licensed copies, or variants, of FSE missiles).
>
> It took a lot of work for NATO to standardise on a set of shared
> weapon systems, so they could use any NATO supply depot.  The early
> AIM-9's and soviet AA-2's were functionally identical and of a
> comparable size, but they were not interchangeable.
The OUDF SMLs - what few there are - are "Knock Off" copies of FSE
designs, or actual FSE equipment acquired through various means, some of

them almost legal. FSE missiles can be used in them. The launchers have
been modified to use some OUDF missile designs which use fewer strategic

materials that are rare in OUDF space, but are otherwise functionally
identical.

Basically it all depends on the background. You can make everybody's
missiles interchangeable, or make the minor differences such that the
equipment, unless specifically designed to be flexible when it comes to
ammunition,  can only use that nation's  stocks.  In actuality,  some
82mm mortars can use some 81mm ammunition, but the reverse is not true,
and can lead to Nasty Accidents. This was a deliberate design decision
on the part of the 82mm mortar designers.