Prev: Re: [GZG] for the Babylon 5 fans out there... Next: Re: [GZG] for the Babylon 5 fans out there...

Re: [GZG] for the Babylon 5 fans out there... [TOBECLASSIFIED] [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

From: "Richard Bell" <rlbell.nsuid@g...>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 18:19:38 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] for the Babylon 5 fans out there... [TOBECLASSIFIED] [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

> On 7/12/07, Robertson, Brendan <Brendan.Robertson@dva.gov.au> wrote:
> >
> > It does specifically say that is is a Region 1 release only.
> >
> > Makes you hate the region coding even more than usual.  (For those
that
> > aren't aware; Australia is in Region 4... With south america...)
>

> I never understood the reason for region codes. :-/
>
> Here's to hoping the other regions get the release as well.
>
> Mk

People in region 1 are able (and willing) to spend upwards of US$20 for
DVD.  People in some parts of the world are neither willing, nor able to
pay
that much.  Restricting DVD's to regions allows the copyright holder to
charge whatever the market will bear, without worrying about people in
region 1 importing cheap, ***legitimate*** copies from places where it
sells
for less.

A non-scummy reason for regions is that, in places where piracy is
rampant,
they can sell a legitimate DVD at a price low enough to get a small
profit,
while attacking the bootleggers' bottom line (the pirate copy must be
cheaper to sell, in place of a legitimate one), without cannibalising
profits in other markets.

Prev: Re: [GZG] for the Babylon 5 fans out there... Next: Re: [GZG] for the Babylon 5 fans out there...