Prev: Re: [GZG] for the Babylon 5 fans out there... [TOBECLASSIFIED] [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED] Next: Re: [GZG] for the Babylon 5 fans out there...

Re: [GZG] for the Babylon 5 fans out there... [TOBECLASSIFIED] [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 14:00:43 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] for the Babylon 5 fans out there... [TOBECLASSIFIED] [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

>Indy wrote on 07/12/2007 06:18:37 AM:
>

>>  On 7/12/07, Robertson, Brendan <Brendan.Robertson@dva.gov.au> wrote:
>>  It does specifically say that is is a Region 1 release only.
>>
>>  Makes you hate the region coding even more than usual.
>>  (For those that
>>  aren't aware; Australia is in Region 4... With south america...)
>>
>>  I never understood the reason for region codes. :-/
>
>Money, greed, control...

I've always assumed it was two-pronged: trying to restrict
grey-market importing due to big price differences, and also because
of widely varying release dates in different regions (the two are
obviously very closely linked....).

>>  Here's to hoping the other regions get the release as well.
>>
>>  Mk
>
>Honestly, there are several movies and TV series in Europe that have
the
>Region code (though I've seen some players that are supposed to be
>breakable) AND superior PAL technology (ok, can be overcome at more
than
>some expense) that I can't share, and don't let me start about the
really
>bad Chinese copies that are the only access for me to some Japanese
anime.

Many of the Region 2 players we have here are easily hackable, often
just by key codes on the remote - in fact, the cheaper the player the
more likely it is to be easily region-hacked or even multi-region to
begin with, just because the makers saved some cash by NOT
region-encoding it....	:-)

But probably 9 out of 10 of the average mundanes don't ever worry
about other region discs, they just buy whatever is on the
supermarket shelf, so I guess the manufacturers win overall - but us
Geeks don't have any trouble getting hold of R1 discs and compatible
players. Oh, and almost all modern TVs over here can handle NTSC as
well as PAL input, so that's not a problem either. I assume that
going from PAL to NTSC is much more problematic?

Jon (GZG)