Prev: [GZG] Just a test... nothing to see here. Next: Re: [GZG] Re: Ship Roles & Classes Part Deux

Re: [GZG] Re: Ship Roles & Classes Part Deux

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 08:41:19 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: Ship Roles & Classes Part Deux

>Me:
>Now, usually a small craft with one, big shot, say, submunitions pack.
>
>How small?
>
>The naval designation for boat is usually 'can be carried by another
>craft', ship cannot.
>
>I always heard that a boat wasn't seaworthy for more than brief stints,
>while a ship could stay at sea. In SF terms, usually FTL = ship, no FTL
=
>boat. It's what I think of in FT, though I know some small FTL craft
have
>been called strikeboats.
>
>Basic idea is a lot of little boats that heavy, expensive weopens will
be
>wasted on. Giant killers.
>
>The_Beast
>
>andy wrote on 05/16/2007 05:50:53 AM:
>
>>  Thanks for the replies.
>>
>>  What's a strikeboat?

Yes, we've been rather inconsistent about this in the past, I admit;
maybe we ought to tie it down, and say that a StrikeSHIP (as we've
used for the new-NSL FT522) is FTL-capable, while a StrikeBOAT is
non-FTL. Aside from that difference, both are the equivalents of WW2
MTBs or current fast attack boats - little craft capable of
delivering a single-shot (or at best a couple of shots) punch that
can seriously hurt a bigger ship. Crewed by very brave (or very
expendable) men and women, as they go "pop" if anyone so much as
points a weapon at them.....

Jon (GZG)

Prev: [GZG] Just a test... nothing to see here. Next: Re: [GZG] Re: Ship Roles & Classes Part Deux