Prev: Re: [GZG]Howtohandleunitsarmedwith"heavy"weapons [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED] Next: RE: [GZG]Howtohandleunitsarmedwith"heavy"weapons [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Re: [GZG] Tinkering with weapons

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@r...>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 20:37:05 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] Tinkering with weapons

Tony wrote:

 >Fusion Beam
 >Envisaged as an earlier ship mounted weapon system before the standard
beam
 >became common.

If it is "earlier", then shouldn't it be less Mass-effective but cheaper

than the standard beams? If it is *as* Mass-effective, there's little or
no
clear in-background incentive for everyone to change to the current
"standard" beams (which they obviously have done, since none of the FB
powers use it any longer)... To me this fusion beam looks more like a
contemporary alternative to the standard beam, not like an obsolecent or

obsolete weapon.

 >Mass and cost as Beam
 >Range 8mu brackets per weapon class
 >Damage as per standard beam x2 (die result 4-5= 2hits, 6=4hits)
 >Screens- as beams
 >Armour- as beams

In theory this should balance OK, but as with all modified-range beam
weapons it runs into the problem that the standard class-2 battery is
somewhat overpowered/underpriced compared to the standard class-1 and
class-3 batteries. Because of this, a 6-arc "class-2 fusion beam" (max
range 16, Mass 3) will be overpowered compared to 3x class-1 standard
beam
batteries while a 3-arc "class-3 fusion beam" (max range 24, Mass 6)
will
be *under*powered compared to 3x class-2 standard beam batteries.

(Note to Steve Pugh: The value of a weapon's range is *almost*
proportional
to the area within range and arc, but since the weapon can only fire at
one
target per turn even when it has multiple targets to choose between it
isn't an exact match. In math terms the area itself is proportional to
range^2, but for the weapon's value the exponent slightly less than 2.)

 >Helical Beam
 >Helical adjusted wave guide carrier particle beam, sometimes called
the Hell
 >beam more commonly H beam
 >Mass and cost as Graser
 >Range 27mu brackets per weapon class
 >Damage d3 per hit
 >Screens- as Graser
 >Armour- as Graser

Overpowered compared to Grasers - the average result of 1D3 is 2.0
whereas
the average result of 1D6 is 3.5 (ie. less than twice as much), so
reducing
the damage per hit from 1D6 to 1D3 does not fully compensate for the 50%

longer range bands.

 >Salvo Missile Variants
 >SM variants have probably been done to death, but here goes

[mechanics snipped]

 >I think the cost for the 2 variants should be the same as standard SM
but
any
 >thoughts please.

Here are the average damages for 1 salvo of standard SMs and the two SM
variants, each opposed by 0 - 6 PDSs:

#PDS:	Standard SM:	Kinetic:	BPL:
0	12.25		7.50	5.83
1	9.75		6.33	5.12
2	7.62		5.21	4.46
3	5.84		4.18	3.86
4	4.39		3.27	3.32
5	3.24		2.48	2.84
6	2.34		1.84	2.41

Both the Kinetic and the BPL values depend somewhat on how their
respective
DRMs are applied to the PDS rerolls. Here I've treated the +1 as
applying
to all rerolls (as for Attack fighters) while the -1 doesn't apply to
rerolls (as per beams vs. lvl-2 screens), but even eliminating the
rerolls
entirely has very little effect on the overall result due to the low
per-missile damages.

I'll leave it as an exercise for the readers to determine appropriate
costs
for the variant SMs
:-)

Regards,