Prev: Re: [GZG] FW: [ct-striker] TRAVELLERcon/USA Next: RE: [GZG] FW: [ct-striker] TRAVELLERcon/USA

Re: [GZG] Tinkering with weapons

From: "Steve Pugh" <steve@p...>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 20:41:41 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Tinkering with weapons

On 13/05/07, Robert Crawford <crawford@kloognome.com> wrote:
> Tony wrote:
> > Here are a few weapon ideas produced by tinkering with the basic
stats.
> > I would appreciate any feed back.
> >
> > Fusion Beam
> > Envisaged as an earlier ship mounted weapon system before the
standard
> > beam
> > became common.
> > Mass and cost as Beam
> > Range 8mu  brackets per weapon class
> > Damage as per standard beam x2 (die result 4-5= 2hits, 6=4hits)
> > Screens- as beams
> > Armour- as beams

Does it get rerolls as per a standard beam? I assume it does.

> Seems too cheap for twice the damage and 75% of the range. I'd either
drop
> the range bands to 6mu or increase the mass. Or maybe they could have
the
> same damage as beams, but only take up 75% of the mass.
>
> There HAS to be a reason everyone switched to beams, after all.

With 2/3 the range it covers 4/9 the area. So it will find a target to
hit less than half as often as a beam of the same mass but will do
twice as much damage on average. Overall it appears to be a slightly
worse weapon.

If you play on fixed tables then it would be an advantage. The amount
of damage you take whilst closing would probably be outweighed by the
extra damage you do at close range as you opponent has less chance to
keep the range open without leaving the table. If you play on floating
tables then the standard beam is probably better.

Now we wait for Oerjan to tell us that we're all completely wrong...

   Steve

--
Steve Pugh
<steve@pugh.net>	  <http://steve.pugh.net/>

Prev: Re: [GZG] FW: [ct-striker] TRAVELLERcon/USA Next: RE: [GZG] FW: [ct-striker] TRAVELLERcon/USA