Prev: Re: Nailing Dirtside/Stargrunt Chamber Pots (was Re: [GZG] More re: [OFFICIAL] Salute releases....!) Next: RE: Nailing Dirtside/Stargrunt Chamber Pots (was Re: [GZG] Morere: [OFFICIAL] Salute releases....!)

Re: [GZG] More re: [OFFICIAL] Salute releases....!

From: Phillip Atcliffe <atcliffe@n...>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 17:19:09 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] More re: [OFFICIAL] Salute releases....!

Ground Zero Games wrote:
>>>  I'd actually be quite interested to hear other peoples' opinions
>>> on	this - unlike the Starships, for the ground stuff (whether it be

>>> in 15mm, 25mm or 6mm) I've tended to keep away from saying "this
>>> mini is a UNSC (or NAC, NSL, whatever) tank", because I think it
>>> tends to railroad SOME people into the "I don't do that army, so I
>>> can't use that mini" mindset. I'd rather that folks felt free to use

>>> just whatever they like when they build their armies up. What do you

>>> think about it? Would you rather have everything tied down to
>>> "official" stuff?
>> Nope, don't do this. Enough companies do this, and I think it is
>> enough you bring out nice vehicles and let people themselves decide
>> which to use for what army. I think just having army specific
>> infantry is good enough to make different armies recognizable.
> Glad you agree, Frits, because that's always been my way of thinking;
> and also it means that while we're steadily building up the range, we
> don't have people badgering at us with things like "I'm only
> collecting Free CalTex, when am I going to get some
> tanks/APCs/whatever for my army...!?"  ;-)
>
> I'm still interested to hear any other (contrary?) opinions
though.....
Dunno if this is "contrary" -- and I'm probably the last person who
should express such an opinion, given that I'm a complete vacc-head,
with almost no interest in Gropos at all, save as ortillery targets <g>
-- but one "solution" to the problem of generic-vs-specific lines for
vehicles would be to do a series of brief encyclopedia-like entries for
each human power describing their ground fighting doctrine, e.g., "the
NSL, on the ground as in space, favours heavy armour and big guns at the

expense of mobility, except in specified recon units." This gives a
player who wants such info the basis on which to build an army according

to taste and their interpretation of the description. For instance, I'd
expect an NSL army, on the basis of what I wrote above, to use tracked
or wheeled AFVs (including tanks) rather than hover or grav chassis, but

YMMV, and a player might decide that the NSL would go in for high-tech
stuff and so use grav tanks except for the really BIG NeuPanzers and
SPGs, and leave the wheels and tracks to the more low-tech powers (like,

say, the ESU?).

I think that would be a reasonable arrangement that allows GZG to sell
generic vehicles and players who want to have a specific army to select
those minis that they see as fitting the TOE of their chosen force. Of
course, it could be said that people could do that anyway, but if
there's a demand for info about the GZGverse powers, then this is one
way to do it without getting too bogged down in Official Details (TM).

Phil