Prev: Re: [GZG] RE: [OT] Variant Blood Bowl Next: [GZG] New GZG 15mm vehicle pics

Re: [GZG] New GZG 15mm vehicle pics

From: John Lerchey <lerchey@a...>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 11:45:29 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] New GZG 15mm vehicle pics

My world keeps getting smaller.
Sadly, I was doing the con as a favor for the gaming group and was as
poor
as the dirt you were picking plants from. :P

John K. Lerchey
Assistant Director for Incident Response
Information Security Office
Carnegie Mellon University

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007, Mark Kinsey wrote:

> John Lerchey wrote:
>> heh. I actually remember when Martian Metals came out with the 15mm
sci fi
>> tanks.  I was at a convention in Baltimore, helping a lawyer (of all
>> people) to run a game of Longsword, developed and produced by a local
Pgh
>> gaming group.  I saw the tanks in the vendor area and drooled on the
spot.
>> I didn't have the money to buy any then.  And since I was then
playing
>> Starguard in 25mm, I would have used the as light tanks or something.
 But
>> still, I feel for your nostalgia.  I too have some stuff that my
friends
>> think are simply horrible minis because I liked them back in 1975 or
so
>> when I started gaming. :)
>>
>> If I had started in 15mm I likely wouldn't hate them.
>>
>> But over the years I have really grown to love what I can do with
large
>> battles in 6mm. And there seems to be a resurgence on the market, at
least
>> somewhat.  I'm not hurting for units, only for time to paint and
play.

>> Now I'll return myself to the evil of painted my converted turtle
blood
>> bowl team... ;)
>>
>> John

Information

>>> John,
>>>
>>> I'm glad you took my comment in the spirit it was intended. I
thought your
>>> response was excellent. It just goes to show how personal scale
decisions
>>> are. It has alot to do with history and personal aesthetics.
>>>
>>> I started mini gaming in 15mm with Striker and the old Martian
Metals
>>> minis when I was in my teens. I didn't play with them for over 20
years.
>>> Then a little over a year ago  Suddenly one night I got curious
whether
>>> there were any 15mm vehicles out there (always a problem in the old
days).
>>> Martian Metals made a few which have now been re-released by RAFM. I
>>> discovered GZG that night and spent several hours on web searches. A
few
>>> nights later I was wondering if there were any cons I could go to.
Imagine
>>> my surprise to discover GZG ECC was two hours away in Lancaster, PA.
>>>
>>> I like painting 15mm, I love working my old minis into a scenario.
I've
>>> spent a fair amount of money collecting figs and vehicles that I
>>> desperately wanted as a kid . So I can't abandon 15mm. I also like
the
>>> look of the figure scale to ground scale ratio. A look at the
pictures
>>> from Stuart Murray's "Company Rules" game from GZG IX will tell you
why I
>>> love 15mm.
>>>
>>> If I didn't have any 15mm I'd probably be more active in 6mm and
25mm. I
>>> have a few of each scale I haven't done anything with. After the
latest
>>> offering from GZG and the re-release of the vehicles from RAFM I'm
even
>>> more solidly in the 15mm camp. As soon as Jon issues the 15mm Grav
Tank
>>> and APC's in platoon packs I'll place an order.
>>>
>>> -Mark Kinsey

>> John K. Lerchey
>> Assistant Director for Incident Response
>> Information Security Office
>> Carnegie Mellon University

> John,
>
> I was at that Con. I still have the APC and Tank they unveiled then.
Retail