Prev: Re: [GZG] New GZG 15mm vehicle pics Next: Re: [GZG] New GZG 15mm vehicle pics

Re: [GZG] New GZG 15mm vehicle pics

From: "John Lerchey" <lerchey@a...>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 22:23:26 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] New GZG 15mm vehicle pics

heh. I actually remember when Martian Metals came out with the 15mm sci
fi tanks.  I was at a convention in Baltimore, helping a lawyer (of all
people) to run a game of Longsword, developed and produced by a local
Pgh gaming group.  I saw the tanks in the vendor area and drooled on the
spot.  I didn't have the money to buy any then.  And since I was then
playing Starguard in 25mm, I would have used the as light tanks or
something.  But still, I feel for your nostalgia.  I too have some stuff
that my friends think are simply horrible minis because I liked them
back in 1975 or so when I started gaming. :)

If I had started in 15mm I likely wouldn't hate them.

But over the years I have really grown to love what I can do with large
battles in 6mm. And there seems to be a resurgence on the market, at
least somewhat.  I'm not hurting for units, only for time to paint and
play.

Now I'll return myself to the evil of painted my converted turtle blood
bowl team... ;)

John

> John Lerchey wrote:
>> It can be as flawed as you like.  I say that I hate 15mm.  It should
be
>> ok for me to hate them. YOU can like or love them. It bothers me not.
>> My response to Mark was supposed to be very tongue in cheek.
>>
>> I'm happy to drop this now.

>> John K. Lerchey Assistant Director for Incident Response Information
>> Security Office Carnegie Mellon University

> John,
>
> I'm glad you took my comment in the spirit it was intended. I thought
your
> response was excellent. It just goes to show how personal scale
decisions
> are. It has alot to do with history and personal aesthetics.
>
> I started mini gaming in 15mm with Striker and the old Martian Metals
> minis when I was in my teens. I didn't play with them for over 20
years.
> Then a little over a year ago  Suddenly one night I got curious
whether
> there were any 15mm vehicles out there (always a problem in the old
days).
> Martian Metals made a few which have now been re-released by RAFM. I
> discovered GZG that night and spent several hours on web searches. A
few
> nights later I was wondering if there were any cons I could go to.
Imagine
> my surprise to discover GZG ECC was two hours away in Lancaster, PA.
>
> I like painting 15mm, I love working my old minis into a scenario.
I've
> spent a fair amount of money collecting figs and vehicles that I
> desperately wanted as a kid . So I can't abandon 15mm. I also like the

> look of the figure scale to ground scale ratio. A look at the pictures

> from Stuart Murray's "Company Rules" game from GZG IX will tell you
why I
> love 15mm.
>
> If I didn't have any 15mm I'd probably be more active in 6mm and 25mm.
> have a few of each scale I haven't done anything with. After the
latest
> offering from GZG and the re-release of the vehicles from RAFM I'm
even
> more solidly in the 15mm camp. As soon as Jon issues the 15mm Grav
Tank