Prev: RE: [GZG] [FT] numbers of dice... Next: Re: [GZG] [FT] numbers of dice...

Re: [GZG] [FT] numbers of dice...

From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@h...>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 14:40:59 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] [FT] numbers of dice...

On 4/5/07, Indy <indy.kochte@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been wondering something of late, about the number of dice people
find
> they tend to throw during the course of a "standard"* FT battle.

Very weird... I was going to post a question very, very similar to this!

I've been working on Full Steam. It looks like there are going to be
lots of dice to roll. At close range (extending out to about 18 MU),
most battleships firing a broadside of four 12" guns will be rolling
16 beam dice (four per gun). If they are within 6 MU they'll be firing
anywhere from five to seven 6" guns, too, which throw three dice each.
I think one of the Russian ships had eight 6" guns per side. That
means this puppy will roll a maximum of 40 dice! (Something around 30
will be more realistic, until damage hits, and at 18 MU it's more
likely to be around 20 dice; beyond that, maybe 8...)

I was wondering if this would be seen as excessive.

Note that ships only have two types of weaponry to worry about, guns,
anti-torpedo boat guns (which use something more akin to a PDS
mechanic), and torpedoes. In most battles only the guns will be used.

There are ways of chopping down the number of dice rolled, none of
them particularly appealing. As I said, I was just wondering if this
number of dice would be seen as silly.

--
Allan Goodall		 http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: RE: [GZG] [FT] numbers of dice... Next: Re: [GZG] [FT] numbers of dice...