Prev: Re: [GZG] FT vector movement systems Next: Re: [GZG] [Aliens] was Re: FMA at EEC etc

Re: [GZG] FT vector movement systems

From: Zoe Brain <aebrain@w...>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 22:54:37 +1100
Subject: Re: [GZG] FT vector movement systems

Ground Zero Games wrote:
>> Formations speed things up because there is one set of orders for the

>> whole formation.
> Formation movement in Cinematic FT is quite simple to implement, as
> long as all players involved agree to accept the ramifications of it;
> basically, just write move orders for the one ship in the formation,
> and then move the others to maintain the formation pattern. The
> problems with this are, of course, that whichever ship you choose to
> plot for, some of the others will be exceeding the limits of the
> normal movement system - say you have a line-abreast formation and you

> plot on the middle ship, then if the formation turns, the "outer" ones

> are getting a free velocity boost, while the "inner" ones are possibly

> exceeding normal turning limits. However, this really need not be a
> problem if everyone agrees and is happy with it - the FT rules are
> flexible enough that if it "feels" right, then use it. We wouldn't
> recommend it for any kind of competition play, because obviously it's
> open to misuse by munchkins, but if you're playing a "friendly" game
> with reasonable people, then why not?
I tend to use Box or Diamond formations, rarely line.
Just have their initial positions defined well - say a 2" spacing
left-right and up-down, then move one ship, and then move the rest to
conform. So the box's orientation becomes a diamond after a 1 or 2 pt
turn, it remains a box after a 3 pt turn.

Sometimes I have ships in line - though often at 30 or 60 degrees
echelon rather than abreast or astern. This way, if my plans come to
fruition. after a turn at the right time they'll be in line abreast at
the optimal spacing.

You get all the benefits of formation orders, with none of the rules
bending. It just means the formations look a little untidy at times.

Zoe

Prev: Re: [GZG] FT vector movement systems Next: Re: [GZG] [Aliens] was Re: FMA at EEC etc