Prev: Re: [GZG] A tale of two threads... i.e. Playtest. Next: Re: [GZG] A tale of two threads... i.e. Playtest.

Re: [GZG] A tale of two threads... i.e. Playtest.

From: Samuel Penn <sam@g...>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 20:55:59 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] A tale of two threads... i.e. Playtest.

On Friday 02 March 2007 19:42, Evyn MacDude wrote:
> I would love to thrash out character development, detailed
> vehicle construction and combat, and integrate Full Thrust
> flavored character driven space combat at the fighter/dropship
> or small starship level.

The problem I've had with FT in this regard is that it doesn't
scale very well. Characters are often interested in things at
the fighter scale (and don't want to die due to a single d6 roll)
or small ships - say a few hundred tonnes in the Traveller universe.

However, most SF universes also have very big ships, and I'd really
like to be able to use the same system to model them *without*
changing the scale each time. You can model a battle between
Far Traders at 1 mass = 10dt can model a battle between dreadnaughts
at 1 mass = 1000dt, but you can't mix them both in the same battle
(extreme example, I know).

Sometimes you (well, I) want to be able to do this, and would like
to use one scale for simplicity without small ships being a single
hull box and big ships being thousands of hull boxes.

GURPS tries this, but rolling 6d6 x 10,000,000 for damage is just
silly.

--
Be seeing you,			       http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.			    Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@glendale.org.uk

Prev: Re: [GZG] A tale of two threads... i.e. Playtest. Next: Re: [GZG] A tale of two threads... i.e. Playtest.