Prev: Re: [GZG] GZG10 Photos Next: [GZG] CoastCon

Playing aliens (Was:FMA at EEC: was Re: [GZG] Re: GZG ECC X: Indy's AAR (parts 1 &2))

From: Robert N Bryett <rbryett@g...>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 14:46:30 +1100
Subject: Playing aliens (Was:FMA at EEC: was Re: [GZG] Re: GZG ECC X: Indy's AAR (parts 1 &2))

The one species/race in 40K that isn't humanoid is pretty obviously
inspired by the alien(s) from Alien(s). The only GW game I've played
is Necromunda, so I'm no expert, but the company seems to support its
various alien "teams" with new figures, rules etc. I have no idea how
*really* differently they feel and play from human forces, or of
their relative popularity with 40K players (though there seems to be
an abundance of Space Marines...).

I saw some Tau stuff in the GW shop window a while ago that looked
pretty cool. It made a change from the usual 40K refugees from a
heavy-metal album-cover, as drawn by a Nazi-regalia collector on
drugs...

Looking back to my (distant) days as an RPG game-master, this sounds
like the same problem with persuading players to role-play their non-
human characters. The more distant the character was from the human
norm, the bigger the problem. There were especially problems with
accepting the downsides of the character, and life was a lot easier
if only non-player characters differed sharply from humans.

RB