Prev: Re: [GZG] [ZeroWear] Dirtside Next: [GZG] ECC-X AAR

[GZG] ECC X AAR

From: "John Lerchey" <lerchey@a...>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 21:38:22 -0500 (EST)
Subject: [GZG] ECC X AAR

Hi All!

Despite the fact that Yerin and I left Pittsburgh about 2
hours later than I had planned, we had absolutely NO trouble
with the drive across PA to Lancaster, and made it in plenty of
time for my participation in Friday nights FT game, "Old Foes,
New Horizons"  hosted by Indy.

The game (see the descirption on the ECC website!) held a few
suprises.  I played the NSL. :)  We got two squadrons, one
having a SDN with some supporting ships, and my squadron
having 3 BDNs with some supporting ships.  We started on
opposite ends of the table, with 3 groups of NAC ships between
us.  The NAC, in this alternate verse had the new Delafield
ships (Joel Frock sculpted them for the con, and every
participant got one!).	Each force had some non-standard kit.

The NAC had 3 ships with advanced drives, AMTs and K-guns!
The NSL had 3 Cold Navy Terran ships, each fitted with Grasers
(2 lighter ships with a G-2 each, and one with a pair of G-3s).  The
game was pretty fun, but the NSL die rolls were
not quite up to snuff, and the potential effect of the Grasers
was offset by most of the NAC ships having level 1 or 2
screens. (Grasers do not like screens and level 2 screens
*really* reduce their effectiveness).  OTOH, the K-guns DO
like to rip huge holes through NSL ships.  Big holes. Though we didn't
explicitely know it, we had to stop one of the Delafields and
two freighters.  We killed the two freighters easily, but
failed to kill ANY Delafields, and handily lost.   Still, it
was a good game!

Then I went to bed. :)

Saturday I ran a DS3 game, "Broken Contract".  A lot of the
new rules I was testing worked really well, and the players
seemed to have a pretty good time.  There was lots of
violence, and the attackers pulled off a marginal victory.

I tookd Saturday afternoon off to reset my head, make sure
(with Yerin doing most of the work while I played!) the Decals
Express table was up and running, and just resting.

Saturday evening Grant LaDue, as he did last year, snagged me
and asked if I wanted to join in on an FT game in need of a
warm body.  I said, "Sure!" and jumped in.  We were going to
finish the final battle of Mike Hudaks "Squabble in Sector
Six", but everyone decided that it was just a slugfest and
that we'd have more fun starting something else and having
Mike play.  Ken Wang came up with the idea of playing
"Assassin".  We each (Ken, Mike, Myself, Jerry Cantrill, and
Grant) took a small task force of 5 identical NAC ships (SDN,
BB, BC, HC, CE - I think).  We then pulled names out of a hat
to determine who our "contracts" were on.  The Rules of
Engagement stated that you could not fire upon anyone unless:

	- They were your target
	- They were a target that you acquired by destroying
	  another players fleet
	- They fired upon you first
	- They were within 6mu

Both Ken and I pulled out our own names making us "free
agents" able to fire at anyone we wanted.  I honestly can't
quite remember how the other three mapped out.	In the
beginning we were kind of feeling things out and mostly moving
in a clockwise cirle.  Mike started hammering Jerry, who
valiently fought back. As their fleets passed through each
other, they both got heavily damaged and Mike killed a ship.

We kept killed enemy ships as trophies.  Grant, meanwhile, was
heading off to my right, with my fleet following at very long
range.	Ken was running right up our center, and Jerry broke
through and started moving in to pass through our lines.

Grant was sure that I was after him and that Ken was after me.
Boy was he wrong. :)  Ken took a pot shot at grant, but lined
himself up so that I was full-fleet to his broadside.  I tore
into him pretty heavily.  Jerry passed through while Grant
pulled away, and Ken, Jerry and I did some shooting at each
other with my fleet mostly in their rear arks, giving me the
opportunity to "cherry pick" kills.  All the while, I took
long range pot shots at Grant.	Grant had figured out that I
was a free agent, and tried to persuade others to fire at me,
but for the most part, I managed to keep my positioning such
that I was never the optimal target.  By this time, I was
pretty much behind Grants fleet, and since our ships were
identical with mine being mostly untouched, he had little
option but to try to run while I cut inside of his circle and
tore into his fleet.  Jerry escaped with 2 ships, but still
had 2 fighter squadrons on the table!  Everyone else had taken
pretty significant damage, but I had only taken 1 threshhold
on 1 ship, while having 4 trophys.  Regardless of win or loss
we had a great time and it was a really fun game for a con!

Time for sleep again!

Sunday morning I played in Indys "Castle Wolfenstien" FMA
game.  This was a follow-up to the earlier FT game wherein the
NAC sent a unit back into time (1944) to stop the NSL from
helping Germany to win WWII.  Forces consisted of a squad of
US Rangers, a squad of NAC, a squad of NAC infantry, and a
squad Powered Armor vs. a squad of German Infantry, a squad of
NSL "advisers", and a pair of tanks - a Mk IV and a Tiger.

The German infantry bravely stood against a combined attack by
all 3 "Allied" squads while the NSL advisors (me!) set up on
the other side of the bombed out town to provide cover fire
and prevent any advances on that side.	The tanks set up with
the Tiger supporting the Germans and the Mk IV supporting the
NSL.

The Germans had a rough time of it, being vastly outnumbered,
and occasionally moving into areas with no real cover.	Still,
they killed or wounded a good number of Rangers.  The NSL
infantry provided cross fire and helped to keep the US forces
from advancing.  Meanwhile, we learned, much to our despair,
that an 88 on a Tiger was barely a match for the NAC PA, and
that the Mk IV with it's 75 was inferior!  The only thing we
had that had a decent chance of stopping the PA was my ONE
trooper with a plasma gun.  The Tiger did hold up the PA for a
bit, popping 88 shells off of one poor troopers forehead,
knocking him down a few times, but never hurting him.  The Mk
IV did about the same thing, but less so, and was close
assaulted by a PA guy!	The melee lasted a looooong time,
mostly with each combatent hurting themselves.	I *should*
have had a nice overwatch shot against the PA when it charged
the Mk IV, but I was mistaken about which of my guys was on
the first floor of a building and which was on the second, and
lost the shot 'cause I thought that the guy with the clear LoS
was a rifleman who could not damage the PA.  D'oh!

Eventually, the PA sent a guy into our end of town and into
the building we were trying to protect!  I had to activate my
plasma gunner using my commander to climb down the building,
run into a sandbag position and fire on the PA!  He caused
some stress, but that was it.  The PA squad leader moved up
and looked around the corner of a building and shot at my
plasma gunner, cleanly missing.  I then had to activate my
plasma guy, taking one shot at the PA on the obejctive,
scoring a wound! and then snapping a shot at the PA squad
leader causing another wound!  An NAC trooper with a plasma
gun fried the Tiger, and the PA fighting the Mk IV pulled away
from it, breaking it in the process to charge my plasma
gunner!  Luckily for me, he had no actions left, so I got two
plasma shots off at him wounding him twice!  (PA get 3
wounds).  The PA in the building, by this time, along with the
PA squad leader had also been wounded twice (go plasma
gunner!) and had a ton of Stress - enough so that the one on
the objective could not activate!

It came down to my plasma gunner and Steve Barosis PA.	If he
won initiative and activated, my plasma gunner and our defense
was doomed.  We rolled and Steve won initiative!  Praying for
a 1, I watched as Steve attempted to rally his stressed and
wounded PA trooper.  He rolled a 9 and squashed the only guy
we had left that could damage the PA like a bug!  The game was
over and the NAC managed to correct history and restore order
to the future!

What a great game!  And what a truly cinematic cliff-hanger of
an ending!

After that, it was time to do final sales, clean up, and head
for home.

Oh, did I mention that my freshly painted Hard Kill terran
Storm Tanks took first in the painting contest for DS minis?

Noam and Benjamin Izenberg took 2nd and 3rd.  Nice job guys!

It was an excellent ECC as always and I'm already looking

forward to seeing good friends, playing great games, and
generally having a blast next year!

John

John K. Lerchey
Assistant Director for Incident Response
Information Security Office
Carnegie Mellon University

Prev: Re: [GZG] [ZeroWear] Dirtside Next: [GZG] ECC-X AAR