Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Auxiliary craft for starships Next: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers

RE: [GZG] AI fighters

From: <Beth.Fulton@c...>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 16:40:26 +1100
Subject: RE: [GZG] AI fighters

G'day,

Sorry for the slow reply server issues st my end.... And getting over
the shock of a white Christmas... In Tassie...the world has gone mad.

> If the KV Player got out manoeuvred by the deployment and found that
the
> target was 90 degrees to his planned line of advance the I can see how
the
> KV Fleet would have gotten into line astern as they tried to turn and
> engage. Sounds like your KV admiral needs to read up on Greek hoplite
or
> German ww2 fighter formation manoeuvres.

I would agree, unfortunately he's one of those guys who can't be told
and knows everything. The other KV commander down here is back from his
diving trip so maybe we can see about setting the score straight ;)

> The last thing your KV admiral should have wanted to do was send his
ships
> single file into an enemy fleet that had crossed his T and was waiting
in
> combat formation.

Unfortunately for him, but maybe fortunately for the fact I needed to
get rid of the KV fleet for the land attacks to sensibly go in
un-ortillery molested he didn't and paid the price ;)

> I still think that a series of diamond formations would be the most
likely
> because then they can turn to face any direction you encounter the
enemy.
> then when the enemy are sited you can dress lines for the cavalry
charge.

Well if John isn't game keen I'll give Lachy a crack, after handing him
your email as a hint ;)

> Was your battle restricted to fleet book designs or did you have to
worry
> about all K1 or MKP toting fighting ships?

Wasn't restricted to FB designs but the KV guy didn't take the
opportunity to use anything but.

> Now that you mentioned the source it definitely did read like a 1900s
naval
> engagement.

I'm trying to read a wide bunch of old reports to give it a 1900-1950
style writing feel, but from lots of different angles and personality
types so you get a mix of a feeling of what the new society is like. I
think I'm having mixed success. As the next article is a photo
compilation by a free lance photographer sending it to the list will be
tricker - I'll send a link instead and just get cracking on the backlog
of half finished story ideas for the actual land attack ;)

> Most of our fleet engagements read more like fighter combats or
cavalry
> charges. Both fleets line up in line abreast, charge in with guns
blazing
> and then end in a big turning dogfight with the side with the most
frontal
> armament winning the first phase and the side with the most broadside
> winning the turning war.

Our pick-up games typically run like that too. Its been interesting to
see how the different players have/haven't adapted as I've tossed
plot-line inspired scenarios at them to game out for me.

holds out ;)

Cheers

Beth

Prev: Re: [GZG] [FT] Auxiliary craft for starships Next: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers