Prev: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers Next: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers

Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 11:04:25 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers

At 9:48 PM -0500 12/25/06, Mike Hillsgrove wrote:
>Why, are we assuming that the standard "classes" ala the wet navies of
today will have any bearing on how ships of the future will be designed.
 The old WWII "classes" have been pretty well replaced today.  We still
have aircraft carriers, but the DD, DE, Cruisers, BB's, BC's are all
gone. They've been replaced with Frigates of various specialties.

Sort of. We have Frigates which are cheap and light, the same as the
DDEs and Sloops of old. We have DDs and DDH's in the case of the heavier
and larger DDs. CG being more of a role than a size as a lot of big
Destroyers are just as large as cruisers, the cruisers usually have more
weapons and general fits or are VERY specialized towards being very
proficient at a specific role (AAW in the case of the Ticonderogas). The
larger stuff hasn't been built because it's more expensive. The spread
out role of capabilities over multiple craft is more desirable. But FT
clearly shows by the game nature that eggshells with hammers is a bit
difficult.

> Weaponry has invalidated the heavy armament and now the smallest
frigate can annihilate the largest BB that ever existed at ranges way
beyond any gun range.  Why do we assume that the WWII model will prevail
200 years from now?

Not so. It still a matter of rock scissors paper with the weapons and
counter measures.
-		  Data Center Operations Group		      -
-		http://web.turner.com/data_center/	       -
- Ryan Montieth Gill		       One CNN Center SE0813 E -
- Hours 9:30am - 5:30pm Mon - Fri	 (8Sdc, 10Sdc IT@3Ndc) -
- Cellular: 404-545-6205	     e-mail: Ryan.Gill@cnn.com -
- Office: 404-588-6191					       -

Prev: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers Next: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers