Prev: RE: [GZG] AI fighters Next: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers

RE: [GZG] AI fighters

From: <Beth.Fulton@c...>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 16:24:14 +1100
Subject: RE: [GZG] AI fighters

G'day,

> While I liked Beth's stories they didn't feel like FT battles to me.
maybe
> it is vector movement based but I fail to see how a KV fleet would
fail to
> out manoeuvre a human fleet or why a fleet with all frontal armament
would
> advance in line astern.
>
> I would have expected that KV ships would have operated in line
abreast or
> maybe like ww2 bomber wings in arrow head formations.

There is a bigger drop off in KV performance in maneuvre vs human ships
in vector, but the effect came out of the KV player setting up in a long
line side-by-side (as he is always apt to do) before reading his orders
or listeniing to the hints being thrown his way by an amused ref.
Eventually after game start he then realised he had to get up out of the
gravity well to engage the humans, who were effectively off to one side.
He probably should have come round sooner than he did, but I think he
wanted to start firing as soon as possible and try and draw attention
off some of his bigger ships by having sacrifical bunnies out front (by
this point he'd figured I was up to something plot wise) so he stayed
that way (given he was pretty good at rolling the 5s and 6s he needed
for even his mid and rear ships to get a good shot off and given there
is also no risk of friendly fire in FT there was no real incentive to
quickly come side by side again - or at least that's what I'm guessing
he felt).

Story wise, the emphasis on the formation of line astern was probably
also over played in the write up as I was basing the tone and flow of
the piece on Admiral Togo's AAR for the Battle of Tsushima (dropping our
results and distances etc into an outline made by stripping down the
structure of his report).

Plot wise this also opens the option for later KV commanders to learn
from this one's collossal goof ;)

Cheers

Beth

Prev: RE: [GZG] AI fighters Next: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers