Prev: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers Next: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers

Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 16:07:30 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers

At 1:18 PM -0700 12/24/06, Richard Bell wrote:

>Actually, whether you could really do that is a
>matter of how much acceleration is one thrust
>point, or if the mass set aside to produce
>thrust is purely engines or engines plus beefing
>up the structure to handle the stress.  If each
>point of thrust is one g, then upping the
>acceleration from 4 to 6 is more than just
>bolting on half again as many engines.  Of
>course, the rules seem to imply that all hulls
>are built to handle thrust 8 (possibly 10),
>whether they need to or not, as the rules make
>no mention of higher thrust hulls costing more
>than pokey lower thrust hulls.

It could be a combination. Because with more
thrust at the end, you get more turning
capability which is nice torsional and bending
moments which can do all sorts of things to a
structure. Though, I'd suspect that if you don't
hang lots of armor and other weight on a given
structure and you put more thrust behind it a lot
of what you do to support the increased mass out
on the end of your pendulum is duplicated if you
have the same structure and increase the force of
movement.

>Answering another of your posts, once your
>likely enemy also has BC's, sending DD's and/or
>CL's to scout for the enemy's fleet becomes
>prohibitively expensive, or impossible if your
>light units have other uses, like looking
>screening your battleline from enemy subs (one
>of the reasons that prevented a Jutland rematch
>was the feeling that the RN did not have enough
>DD's for a proper anti-sub screen).

Which is where you get better sensors (I started
trying to use sensor rules for partially this
reason and including sensor fits on my faster
ships). Of course subs aren't an issue in FT.

>The RN BC's fared poorly at Jutland not so much
>because they were tucked into the battleline,
>but because they were scouting for the High Seas
>Fleet and the visibility was bad enough that
>they were under the HSF's guns when they
>actually found them.

And there's been some problems called into
question where British powder handling is
concerned.
Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me.
       But I do work there and still like the company.
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/2)

Prev: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers Next: Re: [GZG] Battlecruisers