Prev: Re: [GZG] Question about comment Next: Re: Re: [GZG] F/A18 Hornet

Re: [GZG] Question about comment

From: Ken Hall <khall39@y...>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 06:01:39 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Question about comment

in my old Dawn of Aces days, my preferred ride was the SPAD VII. It
climbed a little better than the 13 and was a little easier to fly; the
tradeoff was giving up one gun.

  Success is all in which "game" the pilot chooses to play. Sticking to
Mike's Great War example, trying to turn and burn with a Sopwith Camel
or a Fokker Dr.I in a SPAD (don't ask, in DoA one can fight whomever one
likes) is an early ticket to a smoking hole in the ground. But entice
some hotshot in a Camel to try to match climb rates after one has boomed
& zoomed through the furball, and then watch him stall and spin when one
reverses into him after he has foolishly frittered away all his
energy...good times, good times.

  And now that I've thoroughly hijacked the thread...I'll bring it
halfway back. Fly your ship within its envelope in such a way that the
other guy has to fly outside his. For warships as opposed to fighters, a
similar principle applies: Try to arrange matters so that you are within
your immune zone and the enemy is not within his.

  Easier said than done, I grant you, but that's why one gets paid the
big bucks. :-)

  Merry Christmas and best regards,
  Ken

Mike Hillsgrove <mikeah@cablespeed.com> wrote:
    (snip)

  What makes the Navy effective with anything you give it is that the
pilots are trained better. You can give a superior pilot a SPAD 13 and
he will find a way to win with it. Won't be easy, or as often, but he
will find a way.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Question about comment Next: Re: Re: [GZG] F/A18 Hornet